Comparing a .222 to a .223

Frenchieboy

All .22 calbre but all .224 (although the .22H (the 3rd one from the left may be .223)

I believe from right to left they might be 222, 221 fireball, 22 K hornet, 22 hornet, not sure of this one but it could be an ackely 221 or a 22 eichelberger dart and on the left the 22 magnum

Cheers

No discernable difference between them in terms of destructive power (1-200fps will make very little difference in destructive power). The only thing that might contribute to making the .223 more destructive is if you have a rifle with a faster twist rate then you tend to get slightly better expansion.

Otherwise your firing the same projectile at pretty much the same speed (to put things into perspective my old mans .222 is hitting 3200 and my .223 is doing 3300), there is no difference at the sharp end. I bet you would also see more (edit* perceived) difference in trajectory from running low mounts as to running 1-200fps more velocity.

So……just to complicate matters where does the forum think the .222Remington Magnum fits the bill.

(For those amongst us not familiar with this cartridge, it’s the parent case for the .204Ruger.) :blink:

G.M.

It sits between the 223 and the 5.6x50 magnum. It was one of the original contenders for the military job that the 223 ended up with.

There is a distinct difference in performance between the 222 and 223 - in reality the 223 will stretch your range about 50 metres - there is around 250fps difference btween max loads for 50gn projectiles. In terms of accuracy in a hunting or varmint rifle there will be no noticeable difference.

Cheers

No discernable difference between them in terms of destructive power (1-200fps will make very little difference in destructive power). The only thing that might contribute to making the .223 more destructive is if you have a rifle with a faster twist rate then you tend to get slightly better expansion.

Otherwise your firing the same projectile at pretty much the same speed (to put things into perspective my old mans .222 is hitting 3200 and my .223 is doing 3300), there is no difference at the sharp end. I bet you would also see more difference in trajectory from running low mounts as to running 1-200fps more velocity.

on that basis though there shouldn't be much difference between the .223 and the 22-250

22-250 - 3700fps (85%)

.223 - 3300 fps (85%)

.222 - 3250 (88% - 84% much lower at 3100)

.222 figures are with a 20" barrel whereas others are 24"

400fps starts to become significant amount.

I've probably shot the .222 more than my own .223 and i see no difference in expansion between them, both using the same projectile, anyone that can see a difference between the two calibre's in ballistic performance can see something i cant.

I have both a Sako heavy barrel 223 and love it and now a 22BR built on a trued rem 700 action timney trigger (14ounces) target barrel with a 252 fitted neck (no neck or full length sizing) - its pushing 50 grainers out at 3700 fps and is starting to produce sub half inch groups. It is far more accurate than any other 22 cal centerfire that I have owned. At that velocity a 50 grainer is giving 1540 ftlbs of energy. Had to put a pound of lead in the butt to counter the weight on the front of the barrel. I think this will be one serious spotlight (lamp) gun when its finished.

Cheers

I have both a Sako heavy barrel 223 and love it and now a 22BR built on a trued rem 700 action timney trigger (14ounces) target barrel with a 252 fitted neck (no neck or full length sizing) - its pushing 50 grainers out at 3700 fps and is starting to produce sub half inch groups. It is far more accurate than any other 22 cal centerfire that I have owned. At that velocity a 50 grainer is giving 1540 ftlbs of energy. Had to put a pound of lead in the butt to counter the weight on the front of the barrel. I think this will be one serious spotlight (lamp) gun when its finished.

Cheers

what length barrel is the 22br to push 3700 fps tho ? :blink:

what length barrel is the 22br to push 3700 fps tho ? :good:

Its a full 24", tight bore fitted chamber max load of BenchmarkII.Stock is custom thumbhole (still to be finished) Has a custom built mod using venturi gas flow principals of my design. Its bedded past the knoxform to help support the mod.Reduces noise to somwhere between a 22 magnum and a 22 hornet. At the moment it wears an 8x56 kahles but eventually when money permits a 3-10 or 3-12 by 56 European glass with illuminated reticle.

Cheers :good: