Pheasant Poults

mcs1972

Hi,

We've had a number go missing on our DIY shoot in Hertfordshire and potentially we're looking to replace them.

Anyone got any going spare? We're not after huge numbers, maybe 3-400 but we'd like to try and make up for some of our loss....

Any suggestions anyone re suppliers?

Mark

Try ringing around your local game farmers. I know locally that they have excess stock and have many thousands of unsold poults, there are some very cheap birds available. I have heard of 12 week old pheasant for less than two quid each. The guys without their own shoots are getting twitchy, its a buyers market.

Hi,

We've had a number go missing on our DIY shoot in Hertfordshire and potentially we're looking to replace them.

Anyone got any going spare? We're not after huge numbers, maybe 3-400 but we'd like to try and make up for some of our loss....

Mark

Are you sure, it's that time of year when they are moving around the farm.

I can go to my pen now and see 10 birds out of the 1200 that went in the pen.

Have you tried getting there at 1st light and seeing how many come off the roost?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Mark

Sounds like poachers with nets selling them on to other shoots, always lock your pens up. I lost several 100 in two sucessive years, I locked my pens up and had a record year<

A

Sounds like poachers with nets selling them on to other shoots, always lock your pens up. I lost several 100 in two sucessive years, I locked my pens up and had a record year<

A

hi all,

thanks for suggestions, been away...

Nothing else went awol, we have various expensive bits of kit such as new energisers etc and they didnt go awol..

We're fairly central herts..

M

so basically they flew out and wandered?

thats like unfortunately and dogging in is the only real option unless you've a serious amount of land, put more down they'll go the same way just keep hoppers filled and you may be surprised what comes back or comes in from neighbouring shoots