Bird of Prey Slide Show

Frenchieboy

I've just put together a slide show from a few of the many hundreds of photos I have of Birds Of Prey. These magnificent birds have always fascinated me and always will. There is very little that comes closer to the feeling of being at one with nature than flying a Bird of Prey at live quarry. Most of the birds on here are too slow to put in after game like grouse or such like but "Buffy", my favourite Harris Hawk was a demon of a bird at rabbits and loved to fly and take pigeon and crows etc; and used to help me earn extra "pocket money" working with me at pigeon control/clearance.

Some of these birds were owned and trained/manned/flown by me while others were owned by friends who are with the Owl and Bird of Prey Roadshow whose web site I designed.

This may not be of interest to some of you, if so I appologise in advance for wasting your time but I am sure that others amongst you will see Birds of Prey with the same fascination as I do and hopefully enjoy these photos.

Moderators - If you feel that this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it!

Nice slide show, do you still fly birds mate? I have a 5yr old male harris :good:

Unfortunately I do not have any BOPs now! I had to part with them due to "personal" reasons as well as financial ones. (They were costing me a small fortune in rent for the stables which I had converted into aviaries) While I was working for the NBC it was paying for things but when our area manager folded up it threw a spanner in the works, so to speak! I miss my birds terribly and I have to admit that all though I love my shooting I would rather be flying Birds Of Prey!

As I have said, I believe that there is very little that gives you a closer feel to nature than flying a bird of prey!

I fly birds for a living. Mainly Gull clearance. When im not shooting im out flying falcons at gulls, the traditional way. Hope Frenchieboy doesnt mind me posting a few pics on his thread.

Hope I don't mind? I'm delighted to share the thread with someone as like minded as you my friend! :good::good:

You post away to your hearts content! :lol::hmm::hmm:

I've just seen your post so now I have replied I will look at the pictures etc.

Unfortunately I do not have any BOPs now! I had to part with them due to "personal" reasons as well as financial ones. (They were costing me a small fortune in rent for the stables which I had converted into aviaries) While I was working for the NBC it was paying for things but when our area manager folded up it threw a spanner in the works, so to speak! I miss my birds terribly and I have to admit that all though I love my shooting I would rather be flying Birds Of Prey!

As I have said, I believe that there is very little that gives you a closer feel to nature than flying a bird of prey!

Nice slideshow, i think i remember reading a post when you had to get rid of your birds pal (felt for you). I've always been around bop but never had one for myself, one day soon though! I just want everything to be perfect as possible before i comit to one. A quick question frenchy, how come you had your telem and bell on your harris's anklets and not on a tail mount as most do, what with the way they wiggle before flying i thought that would be best? Good to know i now have another bop owner i can pester for advice! if you dont mind of course. all the best

A quick question frenchy, how come you had your telem and bell on your harris's anklets and not on a tail mount as most do, what with the way they wiggle before flying i thought that would be best? Good to know i now have another bop owner i can pester for advice! if you dont mind of course. all the best

I was flying several birds on that day for a pigeon control program at Rochdale Football Stadium, some of which did not belong to me. The owner of the bird that you are asking about had said that he would prefer it if I used a telemetry system "just to be on the safe side" in case the bird was reluctant to return to me and that was the easiest way to fit the transponder with a small wire tie direct on to the anklet/jesse eye. I never used telem on any of my Harris Hawks as I always trusted them to return to the fist as soon as I required them to, which they always did as long as I had them on their perfect hunting weight. Had I ever felt the need to fly one of my Harris Hawks with telem then I would have had it tail mounted!

I hope that this answers your question my friend!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I was flying several birds on that day for a pigeon control program at Rochdale Football Stadium, some of which did not belong to me. The owner of the bird that you are asking about had said that he would prefer it if I used a telemetry system "just to be on the safe side" in case the bird was reluctant to return to me and that was the easiest way to fit the transponder with a small wire tie direct on to the anklet/jesse eye. I never used telem on any of my Harris Hawks as I always trusted them to return to the fist as soon as I required them to, which they always did as long as I had them on their perfect hunting weight. Had I ever felt the need to fly one of my Harris Hawks with telem then I would have had it tail mounted!

I hope that this answers your question my friend!

Cheers pal, im only down the road from spotland(rfc) myself. If you ever need owt just give us a shout.