Making decoys?

brain dead

You can make decoys out of cardboard

If you look at a shell decoy and imagine it opened out flat

then cut your shape out of card board paint it grey with model or similar type of grey  matt paint then paint the white bars with  household matt paint.

Fold the shape and use duct tape to keep it folded.

You can even make flappers using a  coat hanger wire and a piece of string and a dead bird :thumbs:  :D

You could try paper mache. Use an old shell deek as a pattern then paint grey with white neck bars, then rub a bit of muck on 'em to take the newness off. You should be able to make 2 dozen for a fiver at the most.

B.D like i explained in my previous thread on goose rags for woodies  if they work half as good on woodie's as they do on geese were on to a winner ,all you need is some grey rag & paint white bands  on them place em in between your deeks when the wind catches them the birds will see them from miles away,dead cheap very effective.

regards mark.

I have made my own decoys in the past.The first ones i made were out of plywood,they were made in to pieces one with the outline of a bird as if you were looking down on it and the second was made as if you were looking at the bird side on. I just cut a slot the width of the plywood in each one and by joining them together you had a 3 dimentional decoy. They did work but that was 20 years ago.

Columbus;

The decoys you discribed are exactly what I've been using for the past six years. They work quite well and seem to draw the birds in. I've even had pigeons land in the mix with them.

Braindead;

To keep your weight down go to a panal grade plywood, or under flooring, if you want to give this a go. A good alternative to plywood now a days is the plastic I Beam Board (the stuff they make real estate signs out of) available at most craft shops, and available in a dull grey colour .  Make your first one out of cardboard to make sure your happy with your pattern, that way you don't waste your board.

This is how I make my canadian goose silhouettes. The patterns I've done for them include sentry, resting, resting with moveable head, double goose resting, feeders, and flyers.

For my pigeon silhouettes I just made feeders, and standing birds. But now that I think about it I may have to try making two or three flyers to put up on poles.  If you use the I Beam plastic, it will accept a fairly stiff wire in the channel for placing them out in the field.

Good Luck  NTTF

Tom, a good point would to be to make or (shock horror) buy (gasp) a crow and stick it on a post neer by as it show the pigeons that there is nowt about as you know how wary crows are. I know you are saving at the moment so when my dad goes neer garlands next i'll buy u one. :thumbs: