Grey squirrels face massive cull

roadkill

Hi,

I think in the trees a .22 air rifle is by far the best tool; 2 people with these works very effeciently. What you have to do is 'tree' the squirrel. The tree rat will run up the tree and go round the opposite side to you. You then send your friend round and it will scuttle back round (like corvids, tree rats can't count) and you bang it in the head. I prefer 2 guns for this job because you can both shoot at it. SAFETY NOTICE: Only shoot at angles lots higher than your friend. i.e not right in front of you or low down because the pellet can be deflected with painful, dangerous consequenses. :<

Squirrels are tough ******* and require lots of killing and can run away with lots of lead in their head. My Dad put a .22 accupell in a tree rat and it started to run away like nothing had happened. We thought my Dad had hit it in the body so I fired another .22 which hit it the chest and stopped it stone dead. We went over and on inspection my Dad had hit it in the head and my pellet had taken it in the chest! I know this because my Air Arms Field pellet was in it's chest! I think they may have a fair bit of adrenellin (spelling?) when they know they are being hunted as that would drop one normally. :lol:

FM :lol::sly:

If you want to kill alot of squirrels in an outing, teach a dog to tree them...jack russels work very well for this.....once the dog chases them up a tree it should stay on the tree and bark. Sqirrels cant resist coming out on the branch or trunk to scold the dog, and quite often yo will get squirrels in adjacent trees scolding as well.

Squirrel dogs are a time honoured tradition over here, with competitions held all over North America. The prize money in these competitions can be in the thousands of dollars, the same as the coon hounds.

Check out these links if you are interested

http://www.negia.net/~treetop/html/links.html

Squirrel dogs are quite easy to train.

NTTF

Biodiversity minister Jim Knight said "humane and targeted pest control"

It is thought the cull will use poison to reduce numbers over the next three years.

Anyone agree that targeted pest control and culling with poison doesn't add up? :lol:

The problem with poisoning is that you have to use a special hopper with a flap entrance to prevent non-target species from gaining access.

You fill it up with Warfarin coated grain, usually wheat.

These approved feeders cost a small fortune. The approved bait is barely attractive to Greys and I can't see the minister having any great success.

And what's to stop the Reds from visiting the hoppers?

Sounds like another Labour initiative, all **** and wind :sly:

If you want to kill alot of squirrels in an outing, teach a dog to tree them...jack russels work very well for this.....once the dog chases them up a tree it should stay on the tree and bark. Sqirrels cant resist coming out on the branch or trunk to scold the dog, and quite often yo will get squirrels in adjacent trees scolding as well.

Squirrel dogs are a time honoured tradition over here, with competitions held all over North America. The prize money in these competitions can be in the thousands of dollars, the same as the coon hounds.

Check out these links if you are interested

http://www.negia.net/~treetop/html/links.html

Squirrel dogs are quite easy to train.

NTTF

spot on .ive trained my jr and she is at her best when finding tree rats.even better since about 3 years ago she found out they bite back :lol: