first shotgun application interview

timmy264

hi

applied for my licence a few weeks ago but not heard anything yet.i'm on anglesey nth wales. i was just wondering what the interview is about. is it just to access my character or will i be asked questions about any shooting matters?? just want to be prepared and not mess it up

You could always do what seemed to happen whenever my FEO was due to visit for anything. Whenever he turned up it always seemed to arrive when my wife was inthe kitchen baking. According to Peter Wilkinson (Now retired as a FEO but still working in the Lancashire Firearms Office my wifes baking skills are well known throughout the office!

Any shooting related questions he might ask you would most likely just be about what if any experience you have, what knowledge you have of shotguns and maybe about the land you intend to shoot on. Just relax and be yourself, if you try putting on "airs and graces" they will soon suss that out! They are basically there to help you and not to try to catch you out!

Hope this helps.

hi

applied for my licence a few weeks ago but not heard anything yet.i'm on anglesey nth wales. i was just wondering what the interview is about. is it just to access my character or will i be asked questions about any shooting matters?? just want to be prepared and not mess it up

The interview is partially for the FLO to check your cabinet /general household security etc, but more for him to assess you as a potential certificate holder.

Expect a couple of questions about the shooting you have done/intend to do and possibly about safe handling of a gun. The FLO won't expect you to know everything there is to know about shooting because you haven't yet got a gun ! so don't worry if you dont know the answer - just conduct yourself in a keen but mature manner.

A teenager I know called round the other day as he'd just had his FEO round regarding his SGC application.He' asked him a few questions about his experience with guns,and if he already had one(which he has,iy's on my ticket).He left saying he'd probably get his ticket in a couple of weeks....never once mentioned security,let alone asked to check it!

• 2 weeks later...

My FEO was a really nice, chatty bloke. We sat & shot the breeze for around an hour (must've been a slow day in West Fife), I think 10mns of that hour were spent talking about my application & subject matter related to it, the rest was about.... stuff! A genuine conversation.

Have to agree re the biscuits - my FEO liked Jaffa Cakes however my 2yr old daughter was a bit put out by this as she's the resident Jaffa Cake hoover and sees them as her sole property :angry: