Towing

Beretta28g

depend on your age?!

if you passed your test before jan 1998 i think(best check first though) then you are fine to tow whatever you want. if you passed after that date then you can tow upto the weight of your vehicle(trailer and load) without sitting the test. hope this helps a little.

ATB :yes:

if you passed your test before jan 1998 i think(best check first though) then you are fine to tow whatever you want. if you passed after that date then you can tow upto the weight of your vehicle(trailer and load) without sitting the test. hope this helps a little.

'B' - permits towing a trailer not exceeding 750kg MAM or a trailer with a MAM not exceeding the vehicles kerb weight and where the combined MAM (vehicle + trailer) does not exceed 3,500kg

I watched my friend (a keeper) with a trailer and a half full IBC in it stop one day, and the jimny was "swishing" back and forwards with the movement of the water :yes:

Theye are super little vehicles but just make sure if hill starts are required you use low box!!!

This was my vit with the same trailer and IBC and it "moved" if you stopped or pulled away to enthusiasticly!

post-10812-1286796778.jpg

Edited by gixer1

'B' - permits towing a trailer not exceeding 750kg MAM or a trailer with a MAM not exceeding the vehicles kerb weight and where the combined MAM (vehicle + trailer) does not exceed 3,500kg

As above plus the 80% rule - whatever the kerd weight is of the towing vehicle, rule of thumb is that it is generally considerered 'safe' to tow up to 80% of this weight, however with experience it is possible to tow up to 100% but NEVER over 100%. I would suggest that for a Jimny 80% would be as close as I would go as the vehicle is relatively light in the first place, as opposed to say a Pajero which is fairly weighty and potentially faster so the brakes will be more up to the job. Another thing to bear in mind is that when towing the speed limit is up to but not exceeding 60mph.

As above plus the 80% rule - whatever the kerd weight is of the towing vehicle, rule of thumb is that it is generally considerered 'safe' to tow up to 80% of this weight, however with experience it is possible to tow up to 100% but NEVER over 100%. I would suggest that for a Jimny 80% would be as close as I would go as the vehicle is relatively light in the first place, as opposed to say a Pajero which is fairly weighty and potentially faster so the brakes will be more up to the job. Another thing to bear in mind is that when towing the speed limit is up to but not exceeding 60mph.

Dont be a pussy, landrovers have a towing ability of 3500KG and if you can drive to a decent standard there is no reason not to use it!

:rolleyes:

Dont be a pussy, landrovers have a towing ability of 3500KG and if you can drive to a decent standard there is no reason not to use it!

:rolleyes:

exactly, after all just look at Lorries and Tractors, I used to tow at least twice the weight of the tractor when I was a harvest student, and after all what would be the point in Landrover and Daihatsu making vehicles with a 3.5t limit if you couldn't tow that much

:hmm:

Fair point, depends where you are going and how fast, if just going down the lane not alots going to happen, hooning down the motorway in the outside lane takes abit more thought. If you get pulled you may have difficulty explaining your way out of pulling much more than 100% of kerb weight even if the vehicle is physically capable of it - when you want to STOP all that weight that you were pulling starts pushing, and the faster its going the longer its going to take to stop, simples.. :rolleyes:

this question came up at work the otherday .

a youngster can only tow a unbraked trailor upto 750kgs .

if its got brakes you need a test .

that what vosa said anyway.

not true.

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

Fair point, depends where you are going and how fast, if just going down the lane not alots going to happen, hooning down the motorway in the outside lane takes abit more thought. If you get pulled you may have difficulty explaining your way out of pulling much more than 100% of kerb weight even if the vehicle is physically capable of it - when you want to STOP all that weight that you were pulling starts pushing, and the faster its going the longer its going to take to stop, simples.. :rolleyes:

thats why you only tow that much with a decent braked trailer, no explanation needed to plod.

To be fair, you wouldn't be in the outside lane of the motorway as you are limited to 60mph on them so really no reason to be out of the inside lane unless passing lorries, and provided your vehicle could legally tow it and your license allowed it the police would have nothing on you.

a 6 ton tractor unit can pull 30-odd ton of trailer, you just have to be sensible about your speeds and how well you plan your driving to make it easier on yourself!

To be fair, you wouldn't be in the outside lane of the motorway as you are limited to 60mph on them so really no reason to be out of the inside lane unless passing lorries, and provided your vehicle could legally tow it and your license allowed it the police would have nothing on you.

a 6 ton tractor unit can pull 30-odd ton of trailer, you just have to be sensible about your speeds and how well you plan your driving to make it easier on yourself!

Agree :rolleyes:

I've taken it using a Disco 3 and a box trailer.

The reversing was easy once you got your head round it and took your time. If you learn in a vehicle which has a Low Range it is even easier as there is no fannying about with the clutch. The coupling/ uncoupling was easy enough as it is common sense on which order to do things in to maintain safety at all times. The road driving was hardest for me as a Van/4x4/hot hatch driver, I drive like a **** most of the time and getting back to test standard took lots of effort, but I passed my test with 3 minors.

took 5 hours of training and a few weeks of trying to drive sensibly.