Clumber spaniels

CHARLY

Hi guys

I`ve recently decided to look for a pup or part trained as a rough shooting dog. I`ve been looking at Clumbers but has anyone ever trained or worked one? Or should I just be sensible and go for a good cocker bloodline? What do you reckon guys, I`m open to all advise as I havn`t spent any money yet :lol: .

Thanks Charly.

The river Keeper on my local beat of the Coln had a pair back in the 70,s I used to look after them for him ocassionally..

I remember they were steady dogs and very good swimmers.

Often recognised as a mature gentleman shooters dog... by that i suppose they mean OLD Mans Dog.

However they are easy to train and can be very very good dogs to the gun.

They do have a good temperment also.

FM.

They do things at their own pace, and as Elvis would say "You aint never caught a rabbit" that said they have a steady rather than exhuberant style..

The Breed is renowned also for its extremely acute sense of smell and Victorian and Edwardian shooting parties often used them to quater ground for lost birds after the Labs and Spaniels had been through to sniff out missed birds.

There was a chap in the village had one when I was a lad also and I belive the dog was buried with him after he died.

They are renowned for there loyalty and temperment.

Warning keep well back when they leave the water. :lol:

The breed is gaining popularity after many years in the Doldrums and once was a common sight on the larger estates.

I thnk you would be very happy with a Clumber.

FM.

I will try to NTTF

Do you think its ok to ask to see the sire if its owned by somone else? what should I ask to see exactly?

It is definately okay to ask for the contact details of the sires owners, and I would be leary if they were not supplied upon request.

You want to see the temperment of the dogs, the behaviour, and disposition. If they are hunting dogs it is always nice to see them handle in the field, to be sure that they can find and flush birds.

If you have members of the working dog society around then that would be the place to start looking.

NTTF

Have a look here.

http://www.workingclumber.co.uk

http://www.sedgehurstclumbers.co.uk

If you do go for a Clumber make sure it is from sound working stock. I don't have firsthand experience of the breed but have seen a number working from picking up to beating. I must admit to being impressed with the breed, I've always fancied training and working a rare breed spaniel and the the Clumber would probably be at the top of the list.

Talk to as many owners as possible and get as much info as you can before making your decision.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Hi guys

Thanks for your comments, I haven`t had any reply from the breed club so I`m going to try Meon vally, thanks for the tip, and I`ll let you know if they`re more helpful :D .

I agree Flash that they are an aquired taste and some poeple will prefer a leaner faster dog, my preference if for a steady companion who will be content to sit for hours in a hide or walk up in heavy cover.

LB, I`ve been looking at the sedgehurst clumbers gallery and their dogs don`t seem too heavily built, do you reckon its just KC dogs that are over size or across the board?

Charly.

Hi guys

Thanks for your comments, I haven`t had any reply from the breed club so I`m going to try Meon vally, thanks for the tip, and I`ll let you know if they`re more helpful :lol: .

I agree Flash that they are an aquired taste and some poeple will prefer a leaner faster dog, my preference if for a steady companion who will be content to sit for hours in a hide or walk up in heavy cover.

LB, I`ve been looking at the sedgehurst clumbers gallery and their dogs don`t seem too heavily built, do you reckon its just KC dogs that are over size or across the board?

Charly.

Unfortunetly mate they are all over weight, there are a few true breeders that have serious dogs, but they are few and far between B)

Its a shame as this a good ******* breed left alone they would do well :D

LB

Hi

I`ve just spoken to Christine at Meon valley spaniels and she was really helpful :lol: . Apparently Princess Anne has some puppies for sale from working stock so I`m going to call her keeper later in the week for details.

I read the shooting times article today but I don`t know what point exactly they wanted to convey? Other than the fact that Clumbers are heavier and slower than some others I couldn`t see a problem with their working ability :D .

so I`ll continue to keep you informed.

Charly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I`ve been down to Exmoor to see the kennels and had a great time there. The couple who own it are really friendly and happy to share thier knowledge of these great dogs. The dogs I saw working were very fit and loved to please. I`m afraid the quality of photo`s was not good enough to post them but the same dogs can be viewed at the Sedgehurst website.

I am in the process of joining the society and will then go on the list for a pup ;) .

I`ll let you know how that goes.

Cheers Charly.