Maize

Mightymariner

I was talking to a dairy farmer at the local shop the other day, i asked him about maze after reading about it here, he told me theres alttle bit of it getting grown here now, wasnt a crop i saw standing whilst i shot tho.

A few other interesting types of crop seem to be being tried aswell, we live in interesting times, these crops may change the demographics of species here, i.e. more pigeons, who knows.

• 1 month later...

Have some maize fields where I shoot, I shot them when the plants were young and the pigeons seemed to like them...alot. I have never shot cut maize fields and passing some today there doesn't seem to be a lot left after it is swathed, so do the pigeons like the maize stubbles as a rule?

Cut maize around our way is the best crop to shoot pigeon on, best bag this year 101 for two guns hides next to each other, had 61 picked on me own the other week but plauged all day by ferals stopping the woodies coming in, I fired 2 shots at the main bunch & dropped 5 that shifted em for a while. 1 farm grows it for cattle silage they cut it direct which leaves nothing, never seen a pigeon after harvest, also if your in a good area for duck they love it had some good morning flights this year, hope this helps