bitch just started season

darren m

my girls season as just started today , we are in our 4th weekend of beating this sat and really enjoying it , but it looks like i,ll have to go it alone :good:

OR

is there anyway i can postpone it or disguise it , or even just take a risk for this weekend and lay her off for the next 3 weeks

what would you do ?? ???

my girls season as just started today , we are in our 4th weekend of beating this sat and really enjoying it , but it looks like i,ll have to go it alone :good:

OR

is there anyway i can postpone it or disguise it , or even just take a risk for this weekend and lay her off for the next 3 weeks

what would you do ?? ???

Leave her at home, not only because she'll distract all the other dogs but because working a bitch in season can cause an infection and ruin her altogether

OR

what would you do ?? :yes:

Do you really think her and the other dogs will just pass it of as just one of those things.

you know what to do. ???

Can it? No agenda mate, genuine question, haven't heard that before.

no one has told that bird in the tampax advert she shouldn't be swimming or roller blading either :good:

have to say never heard it, but the obvious reason is anyone with a dog there will hate you for it as their dogs will play up no end

Leave her at home, not only because she'll distract all the other dogs but because working a bitch in season can cause an infection and ruin her altogether

Biggest load of rubbish I have heard on here in a long time.

There is an injection that can be given to take them out of season if it's just starting.

Biggest load of rubbish I have heard on here in a long time.

There is an injection that can be given to take them out of season if it's just starting.

I never said there was nothing that could be done, why postpone a season?

It happens all the time in Greyhound racing, it's generally thought that it does no good in the long run.

I had a bitch that i run in season a few years back, she got an infection in her womb and had to have a hysterectomy.

According to my vet it was working her in season that done the damage.

Anyway how about you **** off and save your insults for someone who gives a ****

Edited by Elby

if if they were wild dogs would they lay down and wait for a season to pass dont think so they would still work .worked many a dog in season no problems but i deffinatley wouldnt take her beating or near dogs thou .noel

They aint wild dogs though, far from it.

I can only go by what the vet told me

whats the difference wild or domestic both have seasons wild dogs need to work to survive .i cant see any difference in it at all .like the lads with hawks i cant fly them they are in the moult ? for 3/4mths so does a wild bird perch for 3/4 mths and wait for the moult to go NO like i say i have worked piles of bitches in season and had no problems some vets talk out of there harris . :good:

whats the difference wild or domestic both have seasons wild dogs need to work to survive .i cant see any difference in it at all .like the lads with hawks i cant fly them they are in the moult ? for 3/4mths so does a wild bird perch for 3/4 mths and wait for the moult to go NO like i say i have worked piles of bitches in season and had no problems some vets talk out of there harris . :good:

Maybe you're just lucky.

I spoke to my vet today, he said a bitch in season has a high yeast content in their womb, if the bitch over does it her body temperature raises and this can cause an infection.

Can't say what happens with birds of prey maybe they do sit up for a while in moult, geese don't fly for 2 weeks a year in moult, Fallows buck don't eat during the rut, some people fast for lent.

I never said there was nothing that could be done, why postpone a season?

It happens all the time in Greyhound racing, it's generally thought that it does no good in the long run.

I had a bitch that i run in season a few years back, she got an infection in her womb and had to have a hysterectomy.

According to my vet it was working her in season that done the damage.

Anyway how about you **** off and save your insults for someone who gives a ****

That's a pathetic response, incase you hadn't noticed apache IS a vet, it was therefore not an insult but an opinion based on professional knowledge.

I spoke to my vet today, he said a bitch in season has a high yeast content in their womb, if the bitch over does it her body temperature raises and this can cause an infection.

That's just not true - in any way shape or form.

A pyometra [Latin for puss in womb] occurs in older female unspayed dogs. Breeding from the dog reduces the risk ever so slightly. A large scale study had around 1/3 of entire female dogs going on to get the condition so it is very common. The most common infective agent involved is E.coli a faecal bacterium as you would expect. Not yeast. It's a progressive condition that may build up over a number of the bitches seasons. Nothing to do with work.

That's a pathetic response, incase you hadn't noticed apache IS a vet, it was therefore not an insult but an opinion based on professional knowledge.

That man is correct! :rolleyes:

Maybe you're just lucky.

Can't say what happens with birds of prey maybe they do sit up for a while in moult, geese don't fly for 2 weeks a year in moult, Fallows buck don't eat during the rut, some people fast for lent.

no luck involved its just a season not a illness .you just cant work them round other dogs as they will distract other dogs from working .

See "pathetic" another insult.

I don't give a toss what he is, I never claimed to be an expert, was just going by what my vet told me.

Then again he's advocating an injection to postpone a season rather than just adising the guy not to work he's dog.

Maybe he's not such a good vet neither.

personally I wouldn't inject one of mine to just make life more convenient for me but there you go. I must say without what it does to dogs on a shooting field my bitch can be a complete idiot while in season. Like most females it messes with their hormone levels, with this subject vets do allow a bit of interpretation to things that are not a definite, in this case one vet says one thing another who probably came out of college a lot more recently another, whether opinion has changed who knows but hey we can only say what we've been told

I don't give a toss what he is, I never claimed to be an expert, was just going by what my vet told me.

Then again he's advocating an injection to postpone a season rather than just adising the guy not to work he's dog. Maybe he's not such a good vet neither.

I can't be ***** with slanging matches. I have better things to do with my time. If you go back and read the OP he asks:

my girls season as just started today is there anyway i can postpone it?

The answer is 'yes'. The injection is called Delvosteron and I quote from it's data sheet:

Suppression of heat

A single injection as soon as possible after the onset of pro-oestrus is seen. Following the injection, bleeding, vulval swelling and attractiveness to dogs should gradually decrease and stop within 5–7 days. The time for return to oestrus in the majority of bitches will be 5–6 months on average, but in approximately 3% of bitches the interval will be shorter than 3 months and in 1% it will be longer than 12 months.

You can learn all about it here

Would I do it if it was my own dog? Probably not, because I would have already spayed her. :good:

The OP asked a question that I answered. I am a little concerned by the answer's your vet gave you. Here's a nice review piece on a pyometra that is free for all to view:

The bacteria, predominantly isolated from the uterine content of affected bitches are Gram-negative Escherichia coli

http://www.actavetscand.com/content/47/1/55