Gamekeeping work experience

Hi all,

I am 16 and looking to do some beating or game keeping work experience on weekends and school holidays as im looking at a career in game keeping in a couple of years. I am based in King's Lynn but willing to travel within reason ( i've only got a push bike )

I have sent a few messages out to local shoots via the guns on pegs website but anyone who can put me in touch with keepers who may be able to help would be grately appreciated.

If anyone can help me out or put me in touch with someone who can it would be very much appreciated.

thanks

mat

I'm willing to go further away if anyone can offer the experience and accomidation, this would only be in school holidays ( February, May, June, August and October ). More than willing to travel anywhere in the country to work for free just for the experience.

How far away would you go :good: as might be able to help always need a hand in feb :good:

How far away would you go :hmm: as might be able to help always need a hand in feb :good:

I'd be willing to go as far as needs be. I see your from Lincoln, if you only needed me for single days at a time then i dont think it'd be possible for me to get there easily/cheaply( train or bus is about £50 :good: ) If you would be willing to have me for mutliple days or a whole week then it'd be easier, thats if you would be willing to have me.

When i was 16 ,I lived not too far from you and wrote a letter to the head keeper at Sandringham. They gave me accommodation for free but I was never paid. Good experience though.

There were a few lads all living together form different departments on the estate. Groundkeeping, forestry etc... Even got to go with them to Balmoral for the grouse season. The keeper has changed there now but its worth sending out letters to the head keeper or estate manager. You will get knock backs and the majority will not even reply but you only need one to say yes.

Like already mentioned but try writing to all the big estates in north norfolk, I think it is the heartland of wild bird shoots, somebody may have something. If taht does not work try Norfolk as a whole.

Don't know how you would get names and address though but I would guess the big estates all have websites, ring the estate office and explain briefly what you would like to do (i.e write to the headkeeper)ask for the name of the headkeeper, thats the most important bit, if you can get his exact address even better otherwise C/O estate office xxx estate will be fine, just need to get his/her name. Must be dozens of big keepered estates in Norfolk.