Specifics with regards to wind?

J black 1210

are there any specifics with regard to wind when decoying? should you have your pattern facing into the wind?

do pigeons prefer to fly into the wind or with the wind

as rule of thumb i've been using a rough horseshoe pattern into the wind with mixed results?

any input appreciated

pigeons 90% of the time fly head to wind and feed into the wind so your on the right lines..also i always look for a spot to decoy them upwind on a field with the wind at my back or side on.

are there any specifics with regard to wind when decoying? should you have your pattern facing into the wind?

do pigeons prefer to fly into the wind or with the wind

as rule of thumb i've been using a rough horseshoe pattern into the wind with mixed results?

any input appreciated.

So what do you do when there is no wind on the day you have booked to go shooting?

You can’t always have it how you want it, yes the birds feed and land into the wind, most of the time, however if the sun is bright that is a big factor, because it is nice to be able to see what you are shooting at (and safe)

Pigeons can drop in how they want which makes them one of the most interesting birds to shoot, as I am sure you will agree when you miss!

I chat to Peter Theobald quite a lot as he lives fairly close to me, he knows what ground I shoot over and I have changed a few things to suit the days when the wind is not as I want it.

Try different things because you will develop a comfort zone in your shooting.

I have a very good friend Chris who is quite a good shot, however if the wind is wrong he will trudge miles across a field to have the wind on his back, I would rather shoot 25/30 hard birds where I am on the limit of my shooting, because I learn much more.

Good luck with your shooting

TEH