Boring-Zeroing 17HMR

Frenchieboy

I have been changing the scopes about on my 17HMR and trying a set that I bought which are fine but a bit big for the "Hummer" so I went back to using the original scopes, a set of SMK 4-16X50AOE. After watching the Rememberance Day Parade on TV (Even more specail for me when it falls on the 14th November as it is the aniversary of my fathers passing away) I decided that I wanted a bit of private time on my own so I went out to chech the zeroing after refitting the SMK scopes on the Hummer.

They didn't take much adjusting to zero them in and here is the results of 5 shots after zeroing. This target was shot at 100 (Measured) meters with a 5 to 7 MPH (Estimated) crosswind from right to left. To help put it into prespective the Red Centre is exactly 20mm diameter.

post-17172-0-12657500-1289747816.gif

nice shooting frenchie,

i'd like to try out a hmr, i've fancied one for a while after reading loads about them on here, but due to lack of funds it would mean letting my .22lr go to fund it so i'd want to be sure before i parted with my baby. so if there is anyone local who fancies taking me out to have a go at some targets feel free to pm me, i'll pay for any rounds i use :good:

well done again frenchie

atb gary

Gary, if ever you get a chance to come out my way give me a call and you will be more than welcome to fire as many rounds through mine as you like to try a 17HMR but be warned, once you have tried a 17HMR you might not want to go back to your .22LR mate!

That offer stands for anyone wanting to try one.

Gary, if ever you get a chance to come out my way give me a call and you will be more than welcome to fire as many rounds through mine as you like to try a 17HMR but be warned, once you have tried a 17HMR you might not want to go back to your .22LR mate!

That offer stands for anyone wanting to try one.

frenchie

cheers for that mate, its a nice gesture but i think the mrs would have a few gestures of her own if i suggested we nip in for a few hours target shooting on our way up to the lake district for our holiday.

i think the only thing that puts me off one is the crack, as the only land i have at present is the land surrounding the land owners house so lamping wouldn't be possible, well not without peeing them off anyway.

cheers again mate

gary

Two permissions I have are at the back of the farmers houses. I use a CZ452 .17 HMR with a DM80 mod and shooting up to 100yds. I have asked if the noise is too bad and they both replied what noise. I was sure they would hear it but apparently not. The only way is to listen to the sound for yourself. The crack is not that bad at all.

I've got to agree with what Redtailhawk has said here. The crack always seems to sound pretty loud to me when I am firing my Hummer but if I am letting a friend try it and stand a good few yards away (Either to the side or behind them) it doesn't seem to sound anywhere so loud, especially if there is a bit of wind! It may pay you to try going out with someone who has a moderated hummer and check the noise level for yourself, you might be quite surprised!

Personally I think the bit of a "crack" is a small price to pay for the extra range and the accuracy!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I have to agree too, the only people that seem to worry about the crack from a HMR are the ones shooting it. My lifelong shooting partner was upset when I got mine saying we would loose a lot of shooting because of it, not any more. Yes it seems loud up close but its not a problem. What you do get is a flat shooting round that will cope with a wind out to 100yds that will make even the most average of shooter look good and all the Rabbits will be edible with a head shot.

atvb Paul.

I have to agree too, the only people that seem to worry about the crack from a HMR are the ones shooting it. My lifelong shooting partner was upset when I got mine saying we would loose a lot of shooting because of it, not any more. Yes it seems loud up close but its not a problem. What you do get is a flat shooting round that will cope with a wind out to 100yds that will make even the most average of shooter look good and all the Rabbits will be edible with a head shot.

atvb Paul.

Wahay! Does that mean that I can class myself as "a most average of shooter"? I surpose it must as I have just measured the centres of the two furthest shots and they are a whole 15mm apart. Not too bad for "an average shooter" (And an old ugly one at that!) with a bit of a cross wind blowing! :lol::lol::lol:

All joking asides, many people condem the HMR because of the "sonic crack" but experience tells me that it really is not quite as bad as some people would try to make out. I have managed three rabbits at about 75 yards range within a few yards of each other without them seming to hear a shot! (Before anyone questions this YES it was witnessed by another shooter) Like I said, if you get a chance go out with someone who has one and judge for yourself, you wont be sorry but you could be pleasantly surprised!

Edited by Frenchieboy

nice shooting frenchie,

i'd like to try out a hmr, i've fancied one for a while after reading loads about them on here, but due to lack of funds it would mean letting my .22lr go to fund it so i'd want to be sure before i parted with my baby. so if there is anyone local who fancies taking me out to have a go at some targets feel free to pm me, i'll pay for any rounds i use :good:

well done again frenchie

atb gary

Gary mate, if you ever heading too norfolk ive got plenty of hmr rounds you can have a play with. just dont blame me when you get the hummer bug!!! :lol:

cheers for that dave :good:

it sounds as if the crack is a little like shooting a moderated .410 i found with mine to me it sounded almost like a standard .410 but a couple yards away its loads quieter.

i think when i've got a little more land i'll put in for a variation and join the hummer club especially if it makes average shooter better!!

what sort of price are rounds roughly compared to a .22lr, obviously i know it'll depend largely on what brand your gun likes and what gun so i would be looking at a cz style or varmint if that helps.

gary

Gary, I reckon on paying about £10 to £11 per box of 50 Hornady Red Tips (On average) A little more than it costs to feed a .22LR admittedly but there is a hell of a lot of advantages that outweigh the extra price for the ammo!

I can see how some are faithful to the .22LR but I would not go back to one to replace my faithfull old CZ 452 Varmint "Hummer"!

Wahay! Does that mean that I can class myself as "a most average of shooter"? I surpose it must as I have just measured the centres of the two furthest shots and they are a whole 15mm apart. Not too bad for "an average shooter" (And an old ugly one at that!) with a bit of a cross wind blowing! :lol::lol::lol:

All joking asides, many people condem the HMR because of the "sonic crack" but experience tells me that it really is not quite as bad as some people would try to make out. I have managed three rabbits at about 75 yards range within a few yards of each other without them seming to hear a shot! (Before anyone questions this YES it was witnessed by another shooter) Like I said, if you get a chance go out with someone who has one and judge for yourself, you wont be sorry but you could be pleasantly surprised!

Yes you can Lol! The point I was making was that the crack from the HMR is not a big of a problem as people would make out and shots out to 100yds are possible even with a little wind blowing. Your groups are good, very good but even I managed a three shot group at a 100 yds off sticks that would have bugsy worried.

http://www.walk79.freeserve.co.uk/140309.jpg

atvb Paul.

I was very unsure between the .22lr and a .17HMR - so I got both!

The .22lr is almost silent - just the click of the bolt and the noisey bit is the skull as the lead hits it.

The .17 has a sonic crack which you think will send all the bunnies running for home - but they don't seem to worry about it (either not hearing it or confused as to which direction the sound comes from).

Either way both are good for lamping but the extra range is good for day shooting with the .17hmr.

The .22 is good near farm buildings where I do not want to spook any stock. Ricochetts are another issue.

I would not be without either. Their virtues and vices are different :good:

BTW - Pete is defo an average shooter (with a cam-corder LOL )

Yes you can Lol! The point I was making was that the crack from the HMR is not a big of a problem as people would make out and shots out to 100yds are possible even with a little wind blowing. Your groups are good, very good but even I managed a three shot group at a 100 yds off sticks that would have bugsy worried.

http://www.walk79.freeserve.co.uk/140309.jpg

atvb Paul.

Very nice shooting most of us would be proud of that group off a bipod let alone off sticks :good:

Very nice shooting most of us would be proud of that group off a bipod let alone off sticks :good:

I don't know if there has been a misunderstanding here or something but can I just clarify that the 5 shot froup on the photo at the head of this thread was shot off a bipod and not off sticks. Anyone that shoots like that off the sticks at that range deserves a lot of credit, I still need quite a bit of practice off the sticks!

I don't know if there has been a misunderstanding here or something but can I just clarify that the 5 shot froup on the photo at the head of this thread was shot off a bipod and not off sticks. Anyone that shoots like that off the sticks at that range deserves a lot of credit, I still need quite a bit of practice off the sticks!

Frenchie this comment was about Shropshire_Lad's post which his group was shot off sticks. Your group was very good only 15mm appart but Shropshire_Lad's 3 shots touching at 100yds off sticks is very impressive to say the least :good:

LOl, and just to add it was a fluke!lol you know as well as me if it had been a five shot group it would have been bigger thats why I stopped and took a pic before I ruined it. I was also leaning with my back to a tree and shooting off two sets of sticks, one under the forend and the other under the butt. Still it shows what the little round can do on a lucky day.

atvb Paul.

I brought my HMR after failing to get within say 60 yds on hedgerow bunnies with the 22lr, plus without a rangefinder it's easy to shoot under a bunny at 80 yds. The 22lr will group at 80 yds ok but once the HMR has settled down it's brill.

I tried 'syncro' bunny shoooting with my son using the 22lr & me with the HMR:hmm: We found a couple of bunnies at 80 yds and both lined up - Firing together both bunnies did a back flip.

My only problem zeroing up the HMR at 100 yds, after firing x5 shots my over keen gundog runs out and trashes the target box - so I have to start again :lol:

Both have there uses, I'm hanging onto both. :good: