Can't get AT2s or BFG AT's

Rascal

Mine are marked on the sidewall M&S, but is the amount of snow we have here severe? As tyres are sold worldwide I assume severe would encompass countries such as Canada etc.

The General website says: "Meets the severe snow service requirements of the RMA and RAC" in the spec, but then I think the sizes with the asterix don't. There is no obvious pattern eg looking at the top of the list, 205/75x15 does, 215/75x15 doesn't then 225/75x15 does. You are correct that RAC is Rubber Association of Canada.

I don't know what effect it has in real life, but they wouldn't be legal to fit on a vehicle during winter in Quebec or some other Canadian/USA states. There is a similar logo I think for use in Germany, Austria etc who also have a requirement for winter tyres.

A bit of info here: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

first paragraph pasted:

How to Confirm a Winter Performer

What's the difference in snow traction between an M+S (Mud and Snow) branded tire, an all-season tire and a purpose-built winter/snow tire? While many drivers probably aren't absolutely sure, it can be the difference between getting to work, getting home or getting stuck.

Edit: the severe snow rating is not all about chunky tread. Something like this Pirelli Scorpion does meet the requirement, wheras many A/T or M/T don't. It's more to do with rubber compound and extra sipes etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Ice+%26+Snow

Edited by HW682

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I remember, the sizes marked with an asterix on this list are not severe snow rated (ie don't come with the snowflake in a mountain logo). That includes 235/70 x 16 and 245/70 x 16 sizes. Don't know what difference it makes. It could be that they haven't been tested - or it could be that they don't meet the spec?

looks like I have the symbol on mine that are 245/75/16 and must say they are impressive on what we've got which is compacted snow turned to Ice. Haven't needed to go out of 2wd yet and that includes stopping on a hill last night to push a car that couldn't move then restarting so no complaints here

yes do them with a lighter and make sure a friend films it :good:

plus its £15 per tyre and you have 4 of them :oops:

What's the chances of me walking home this evening to find a tyre van doing the wheels on a neighbour's car...!

"40% cheaper than other fitters" was the slogan

£75 was the price. (I didn't pay that by the way, I'll sort it tomorrow)

--

What PSI shall I go to? Says 80 on the tyre, but a load of other forums are mixed messages for tyre pressures.

Edited by Billy.

80psi on the tyre is the maximum inflation pressure and you don't want to be anywhere near approaching that :no:

Really? My current tyres say 50psi so that's what they are.

It just says something like 2500 lbs max pressure @ 80psi.

Edited by Billy.

Really? My current tyres say 50psi so that's what they are.

It just says something like 2500 lbs max pressure @ 80psi.

Ok guys this may help. Sorry but i am not very good at explaining things but i will give it a go.This is how i would work out my tyre pressures

Your tyres say 80psi at 2500lb

This is how i would work it out using my jeep as an example.

My Jeep weighs 2250kg which = 4960lb

So this weight is spread between 4 tyres which = 1240lb per tyre

If i divide the max weight the tyre can take by my Jeeps weight on one tyre i get.

2500lb divided by 1240lb = 2.01

I then take the 80psi thats the max pressure of the tyre and divide it by 2.01 = 39.8psi

So that gives you a max pressure of 39.8psi in each tyre with my jeep weight, But as previously stated you wouldn’t have max pressure in the tyres.

And just for the record i have only just recently fitted BF Goodrich AT’s 245/75/16 tyres and they are great. I haven’t had the chance to use them off-road just yet but have used them on the beach and in the snow and no problem. I would highly recommend Road noise hardly noticeable difference from the road tyres they replaced. I managed to get them at £112 per tyre fitted, Balanced etc...

From these guys... http://www.kirkleytyresandwheels.co.uk/

Hope this of some help

Darren

yes do them with a lighter and make sure a friend films it :good:

plus its £15 per tyre and you have 4 of them :oops:

Ok guys this may help. Sorry but i am not very good at explaining things but i will give it a go.This is how i would work out my tyre pressures

Your tyres say 80psi at 2500lb

Al4x, Oak Tree Garage, 4 tyes, £5 a corner :D

DKP, thanks, that's really good info :good:

Darren,

I've worked the figures out for my Disco 2 using the max weight provided in the handbook for each axle as obviously there's going to be a weight loading variation from front to rear. My car had 18" rims with Goodyear Wrangler HP tyres with a max weight of 2270lbs@50psi. I couldn't see in the dark what the load figures are on the new 16" AT2 tyres, so I'll do those tomorrow.

Front Axle max weight = 2646lbs divide by 2 for each wheel = 1323lbs.

Divide max tyre weight 2270lbs by max wheel weight 1323lbs = 1.71.

Max tyre pressure 50psi divided by 1.71 = 29psi (handbook recommends 30psi for both normal use and vehicle loaded to max gross vehicle weight).

Rear Axle max weight = 3968lbs divide by 2 for each wheel = 1984lbs.

Divide max tyre weight 2270lbs by max wheel weight 1984lbs = 1.14.

Max tyre pressure 50psi divided by 1.14 = 43psi (handbook recommends 38psi for normal use but 46psi for vehicle loaded to max gross vehicle weight).

I think you need to look again and see what the front axle weight should be, rather than work on total vehicle weight, as you may be over inflating the front tyres which will cause premature wear to the centre tread band and could cause loss of grip because a smaller footprint of the tyre is in contact with the road surface than intended.

Phil

looks like I have the symbol on mine that are 245/75/16 and must say they are impressive on what we've got which is compacted snow turned to Ice. Haven't needed to go out of 2wd yet and that includes stopping on a hill last night to push a car that couldn't move then restarting so no complaints here

Found a reference to it:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

A quote pasted below:

NOTE: While many of the Grabber AT2 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tires meet industry severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol, some do not. Specific tires/sizes not meeting the industry's requirements are identified with a "Not Rated For Severe Snow" notation on Sizes & Prices, as well as on Specs. Grabber AT2 tires are designed to accept optional #13 metal studs to enhance ice traction.

The 245/75/16 doesn't have an asterix on the list, so should have the snowflake logo. :good:

It would be interesting to know if there is any actual difference between the rated tyres and the non-rated ones. Maybe for some reason they just haven't bothered to submit to testing?

Edited by HW682

Woo Hoo !!

Event tyres have just left the building after fitting grabber AT2's to my Disco.

Cant wait to get out this weekend and try them out. Feeding on Sunday so should be able to put them through their paces.

"Lock and load lets off road" :yes::)

oh yeah I had them fitted with writing on the outside :good: I dont think that is too chavvie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still seems to be a nationwide shortage of decent AT tyres.

I've punctured one of my Grabbers on the Frontera last week, and only today could I find a replacement... a BFG AT @ £120 delivered from Camskill, NONE of the local fitters could get anything other than road tyres.

Event Tyres fitted four Grabber 235/70/16 AT2 tyres for me at the end of November but couldn't get hold of a fifth then for the spare wheel. They contacted me yesterday and have just been and fitted it now for me at the price I paid then instead of the current list price :good:

They may have other sizes in stock now or check this company out who I'd planned to use if Event couldn't supply.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/235-70-16-General-Grabber-AT2-Tyres-/140495464898?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item20b62ea9c2

• 2 weeks later...