Land Rover Discovery TD5 Cylinder Head

DorsetJasper

It's F-all to do with the warranty firm mate, the 30 day guarantee is between you and the dealer. So don't accept any ******** about waiting for the warranty firm to look it over. No, the warranty firm may not pay out on it, but that doesn't mean you have to keep it or pay for any repairs. This situation is to do with consumer rights under items being fit for purpose, and nothing to do with aftermarket warranties.

sounds to me that your getting 'walked' over :oops:

get it towed to the car sales, it's there problem not yours, leave it with him, tell him he has 7 days to sort it or you will have a full refund, and while he sorts it you want a runaround :yes:

did you speak to TRADING STANDARDS :hmm:

I speak with the experience of watching same said thing unfolding several times at my work with the car sales opposite, screaming! shouting!! threats!? :blink: and eventually trading standards, sometimes cars got fixed sometimes cars where changed for a higher priced one on the forecourt, sometimes money was given back, once TS where involved and got to know him it never went the car dealer way

stick to your guns and take no male cow **** :yes:

Cheers again for all the replys :good:

Im trying to play the good guy at the minute and give the dealer a chance to rectify his mistakes, but if i dont get anywhere by next week then i will have to review the situation.

Does anyone know of a company that can trailer a Discovery 2 from dorchester to Bishops Stortford Essex?

Im just a bit gutted ive already spent over £600 on the discovery and i dont and cant afford to throw that away :angry:

Frow what i understand if i do go for the refund option then i can only claim back what i paid for the vehicle not the tyres & starter etc. :angry:

Well the dealers had 2 days and he still isnt playing ball :angry:

He is now accusing me of driving the Disco excessively whilst it was over heating and causing the possible warped head :angry:

I have had to go to Warranty Wise and ask permission to take the head off to have it pressure tested which the dealer has agreed is necessary.

How he can say ive caused the warped head is an absolute joke :angry:

I picked it up 2 weeks ago drove it home and including that journey ive covered 280 miles :angry:

Basically he is refusing to cover the repairs or give me a full refund :angry:

Has anyone been in a similar position and had to go to court to reclaim all costs?

I feel the legal route is my only option now

You're being given the runaround by this shyster. He's an expert at it - he knows you live a good distance away from him and it is totally inconvenient for you to doorstep him or dump the vehicle back on his forecourt.

Several people suggested strongly that you take advice from the experts - Trading Standards. It isn't your responsibility to arrange getting the cylinder head pulled off, or the warranty company it is the retailer. You'll start to spend even more of your own hard earned cash and it will end up in tears, nip it in the bud now and get the vehicle back to him for him to deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do i start!!!

I couldnt get it transported back to Stansted before Christmas and as we are desperate for a 7 seat car we decided to go ahead with the investigation work.

The good news is the cylinder head isnt cracked or warped :good:

Ive had it pressure tested and it was delivered back to my garage today with all the gaskets and a reface.

The dealer is a total ****, we havent heard anything from him so my mechanic has taken loads of photos and is willing to detail all of his findings in a report.

Consumer direct are advising us at the moment but it looks as if it will be a trip to the small claims court.

Im hoping that he will respond to our latest letter before the legal letters begin :angry:

It may be a long process but we are determined to get all of our money back for the repairs.

Touch wood it should be back with us by Weds or Thurs :good:

I'm very sorry to hear that, it isn't the best start to the new ownership of vehicle. The head gasket has gone for a reason and it might be worthwhile just getting your mechanic to check around the likely culprits such as a duff water pump etc. and save any future heartaches.

I hope you manage to wring some dosh out the trader, that is if he hasn't gone belly up by then, as that's what some do to save paying out.

You could always send him a doggy truffle christmas card in the interim :lol:

Whilst taking it all apart my mechanic noticed that it had a brand new radiator and top hose.

He seems to think it had an overheating problem caused by the rad or hose that wqas replaced but it did damage to the gasket that may or may not have gone unnoticed.

The trader is still trading and has from what i can see an established plot with its own garage repair side.

We wont give up until all the money is reclaimed.

I do like the sound of the doggy truffle, may have to give that a go :yp: