Question from Argentina

Hi guys, how are you?

I saw a lot of videos and pictures of the forum and want to ask to you which is the shotgun that you think is the best for dove hunting? How many shots? Which caliber?

The one I love is my caliber 12 xusta. My grandfather gave it to me so is an important treasure for me.

Other question, which are the decoys that work ok there?

Thanks to all!!!

Gonzalo.

From your part of the world the Beretta 391's seem to go down particularly well in 20g

I own one and can see why.

We seem to settle for flocked decoys and something to add a little movement to the pattern such as a pigeon magnet, floaters or flappers but with so many pigeons you probably don't need this.

Edited by sitsinhedges

From your part of the world the Beretta 391's seem to go down particularly well in 20g

I own one and can see why.

We seem to settle for flocked decoys and something to add a little movement to the pattern such as a pigeon magnet, floaters or flappers but with so many pigeons you probably don't need this.

Thanks you very much sitsinhedges for your comment. I make some shots with the Beretta 391 caliber 20. Is a very good one.

About the decoys, are them electronic or what? how does it work to make the movement? I know that here is not neccesary, but i think is a good way to get them more closely. Some of the hunters love that and is a good way for the ones that don't aim so good at the beggining.

Thanks for your time and I will try to get some pictures this week with my american friends.

Have a nice week people!

See you.

Gonzalo

Thanks you very much sitsinhedges for your comment. I make some shots with the Beretta 391 caliber 20. Is a very good one.

About the decoys, are them electronic or what? how does it work to make the movement? I know that here is not neccesary, but i think is a good way to get them more closely. Some of the hunters love that and is a good way for the ones that don't aim so good at the beggining.

Thanks for your time and I will try to get some pictures this week with my american friends.

Have a nice week people!

See you.

Gonzalo

The basic flocked shell decoys sit on sprung sticks that allow them to move in the wind if there is any. Pigeon magnets use a windscreen wiper motor with long steel rods attached that have either dead pigeons or decoys at the end to draw attention to the pattern. Floaters are single decoys that are attached to the end of springy steel or fibreglass rods, they have wings outstretched to appear to be approaching the pattern and any wind creates a large amount of movement in them. Flappers are mechanised decoys that flap their wings or real birds fixed into a cradle that do the same.

Hypaflaps seem to be about the best type of decoy to use as a floater or on a pigeon magnet http://www.youtube.com/user/08452260469#p/search/0/3SQk3iDKTI8

A look on youtube will reveal more.

I was fortunate enough to shoot doves in the Cordoba province of Argentina in September 2001.

We used their guns which were Benelli, 3 shot semi auto 20 gauge.

Despite the high number of shots made, these guns never failed to recycle smoothly, as my first introduction to using a Benelli it was very impressive.

I was fortunate enough to shoot doves in the Cordoba province of Argentina in September 2001.

We used their guns which were Benelli, 3 shot semi auto 20 gauge.

Despite the high number of shots made, these guns never failed to recycle smoothly, as my first introduction to using a Benelli it was very impressive.

Hi guys! How are you today?

I recently come from the farm. We have a very good week with our American friends.

I will try to make a post with some pictures.

About the decoys, I will try to see where I can get some of them, maybe it will be a differente type of shoot.

We hunt more than 10500 doves this week and 100 pheasents. It was a very good hunting trip.

See ya.

Gonzalo

• 2 weeks later...