Roost Shooting is it legal.?

Fisherman Mike

I had a chat with one of the tennant farmers last night who farms on large estate in the area. ( Dont worry Dave its not BH )

He just rang out of courtesy because large flocks are congregating on his rape.

In conversation he mentioned that because ARA had been campaigning in recent years very actively in the area of the Estates organised shoot the Estate manager had taken legal advice from the NFU solicitors and decided, in order to be squeeky clean, to ban roost shooting in the surrounding woodlands.

These woods are technically well outside the crop boundary but I was suprised to say the least.

I dont shoot the farm very often probably 2 times a year as the pigeons always seem to shift well away to adjoing land after a couple of sortees. There are always plenty of gas guns deployed in the area so i cant believe its a noise issue.

What is your understanding of the Licence in this respect, I thought birds coming into roost were fair game?

I had a chat with one of the tennant farmers last night who farms on large estate in the area. ( Dont worry Dave its not BH )

He just rang out of courtesy because large flocks are congregating on his rape.

In conversation he mentioned that because ARA had been campaigning in recent years very actively in the area of the Estates organised shoot the Estate manager had taken legal advice from the NFU solicitors and decided, in order to be squeeky clean, to ban roost shooting in the surrounding woodlands.

These woods are technically well outside the crop boundary but I was suprised to say the least.

I dont shoot the farm very often probably 2 times a year as the pigeons always seem to shift well away to adjoing land after a couple of sortees. There are always plenty of gas guns deployed in the area so i cant believe its a noise issue.

What is your understanding of the Licence in this respect, I thought birds coming into roost were fair game?

As far as I was aware it is fair game and it is fantastic sport. Throughout the winter I partake in Roost Shooting and I know a lot of other members do. The following is a quote I took from the BASC website :

"Roost shooting

Normally, during the winter, Guns position themselves before dusk in woods where pigeons are known to roost and wait for the birds to return from their day’s feeding. Mixed woods of conifers and hardwoods are the most popular and pigeon droppings under the trees will show the best places to stand. As it will be almost dark before the shoot ends it is extremely important to retrieve fallen birds immediately after they are shot."

Now why would BASC have this on their website if it wasn't legal.

As far as I was aware it is fair game and it is fantastic sport. Throughout the winter I partake in Roost Shooting and I know a lot of other members do. The following is a quote I took from the BASC website :

"Roost shooting

Normally, during the winter, Guns position themselves before dusk in woods where pigeons are known to roost and wait for the birds to return from their day’s feeding. Mixed woods of conifers and hardwoods are the most popular and pigeon droppings under the trees will show the best places to stand. As it will be almost dark before the shoot ends it is extremely important to retrieve fallen birds immediately after they are shot."

Now why would BASC have this on their website if it wasn't legal.

There are hamlets nearby so I can only imagine its a noise issue then and there have been complaints. The indiginous families who were there when I was a lad have all been replaced by immigrants from Surrey, Middlesex & Suburbia (Pseudo rich if you know what I mean ) which may have something to do with it.

There are hamlets nearby so I can only imagine its a noise issue then and there have been complaints. The indiginous families who were there when I was a lad have all been replaced by immigrants from Surrey, Middlesex & Suburbia (Pseudo rich if you know what I mean ) which may have something to do with it.

They'll be complaining about animal smells and chainsaws next.... like kids, the more they win, the more they will push the next boundary :yes: