300TDI or TD5

SilentKill

I could imagine you'll get a lot of response on this one.

IMO... 300TDI are better = more reliable / better economy / cheaper to maintain & repair / not as complicated a motor.

You'll pay more for a low mile good example TDI 300 as there's not many left, but they are out there.

I have a 97 300TDI Disco XS, auto with 90k on it, can't fault it.

TD5 has more poweR and tuning potential but a good one will cost you, especially a Defender.

Disco or defender both the same vehicle with either engine, just the performance that changes.

The Defender is a a Tractor off road :good: , problem is it's still a tractor "ON" road :yes: And it's tight for space behind the wheel, if your a big lad ;)

I can put my Disco where ever a Defender will go, at the end of the day it's about what suits your needs, budget and what you want to use it for.

But what ever you buy, you'll love owning an LR :good:

Good Luck

Guest rimotu66

As above, Ive got a 96 300tdi Disco. with just 97k on it, I know of people with the TD5 and they have lots of trouble, mind you the 300 has its own niggles especially the 1996 model (imobilisor spider, ive just bought the mod to hopefully cure my starting problem)and has been said,I can work on it myself :good:

And again repeating whats already been said, the Disco will go anywhere that the Defender will but with room and comfort inside, having said that, the Defender does look like the real deal though :yes:

300 every time,i would not run a td5.disco and defender are both good vehicle's (thats why i have one of each) but a 90 will go where a disco can't,but for normal offroad driving there's not much in it.the disco is plusher,but i find the defender nicer to drive(the mrs likes the disco) and i'm 6'1" and 18 stone.i do find a smaller steering wheel helps to save your knuckles a bit and i also has 2" spaces under the seat frames to give me more leg room.

I loved my defender to bits .It started life as a TD but I bit the bullet and fitted a 200tdi it was offroad prepped lifted, winch ,the whole 9 yards . I never used the winch to recover myself only others . I sold it earlier this year as I wanted something the wife could drive as it was a little to industrial for her . So I bought the next best thing .

A disco 1 300 tdi 97 with 115k on the clock . I must admit I cant fault the disco . We went white laning at the weekend I have fitted BF Goodrich mud terrains to it and it went where ever it was pointed.

Its happy on the motorway too .. The only critisism I have is that they dont show there battle scars as well as a defender . But if thats all it aint doing bad .........