magpies

TJ91

Got a fair number of magpies about on a new permission (been asked to clear them up) and i am struggling to get to grips with them

not really shot many before, just the odd ones when out roost shoting

me and the farmer have put out a couple of traps, had them out a few weeks and moved them about to the places the magpies seem to congregate but no luck as yet..have used traps before on another permission with succes but these ******* seem to be avoiding my efforts so far

i have tried sitting where they usually go in a morning, getting there before light and waiting for them but they never show

i have tried hiding at the end of the hedgerow and getting someone to walk down it to scrae them down to me, sat very still well camo'd up bu tthey always drift off and away before they are close enough, tried this at different times of day and walked it different ways and changed where i hide everytime

they are doing my head in now and the farmer keeps asking if i have got any... feel pretty useless as i have to say 'no, not yet' everytime!

anybody got any ideas

i am thinking of going down the decoys and caller route but dont want to spend loads on gear that wont be used much

i have seen 8 in total all sat near as damn it together and heard others calling in the hedges and woods so there is a good few

its about time i got a couple to show the farmer!

Try baiting them mate.

Dog food/broken egg etc. Put it somewhere obvious that the will see easily, but within range of some good cover for yourself.

Like you've stated, make sure your well concealed, full camo plus full face veil or mask/balaclava.

What you using-shottie or rifle?? Obviously with the shotgun your going to have to be closer to your bait station, 6s with a fairly open choke-then if youve got a few on the bait at the same time you should nail a couple each time.

Hope this helps mate-has worked for me in the past. Oh yeah, think its illegal to draw them in with a caller. :good:

thinking about it, do they even make a caller for magpies (not electronic jobby!?)? :hmm:

i have full camo, cap with face veil, ghillie suit if needs be!

i am using shotgun, will use same cartridges as for pigeons (32g 6's)

the magpies always sit in the tree at the end of a tall hedgerow and on the fencing (of the sheep catching pen) about 10foot from the hedge..i have sat here many times but everytime i go they dont show..but everytime i walk down ther in daylight when i am flushing pheasants with a friend there is always a couple there..and obviously they do there trick of flitting down the hedgerow staying just out of range!)!

very frustrating!!

i will try the bait trick

would an open rabbit and a plastic magpie decoy work??

i have just ordered 3 decoys..they seemed cheap and may come in handy again so thought i may aswell spare a few quid for them

Edited by TJ91

...and when you've bagged one leave him out in the open. His mates will often pop by for a little wake. Then you can pick them off as well.

:stupid: definately on that. Shot a squirrel the other month, magpie came to look, shot him then all hell let loose. I had another 3, who just came and sat in the trees screaching to be shot!

TJ,

it may help with a few of you in different places. We used to find with crows that they are really clever, but can not count.

theres only me with permission to shoot the land and can only take 1 person with me

i know what you mean with the crows, 3 people go in to a wood, 2 come out, crows see a group enter and a group exit, they cant count and come back

not sure where the magpies are roosting, thought the trick would be to get hidden at the end of the hedgerow unseen and get my mate to walk the hedgerow down, but they either aint there or flit off too early

SilentKill Posted Today, 11:58 AM

try using an airgun? something a bit quieter than a shot gun! Plus you have there aint much of a magpie under those feathers!

not sure how airrifle would help!?

cant get in range with shotgun never mind getting them to sit still long enough

dont mind abit of overkill either! dead is dead and they wont be going on my table!

Thanks for the replys

i will try the bait trick and stick the decoys out when they arrive

Edited by TJ91

Put out a rabbit or a bit of fresh chicken. Then wait. Get the first one then wait for his mates to come by to pay their respects. (As I said before). Then pick them off. Finally, and this is not compulsory but I like doing it, break cover and finish them off with your bayonet.

Hanks.

Put out a rabbit or a bit of fresh chicken. Then wait. Get the first one then wait for his mates to come by to pay their respects. (As I said before). Then pick them off. Finally, and this is not compulsory but I like doing it, break cover and finish them off with your bayonet.

Hanks.

:lol::good:

i like it...but i dont have a bayonet!

No need to buy a Magpie caller. Take a 35mm film, plastic canister with lid, everyone has one of those lying about, if you don't, ask your mates. Put a metal nut in it, as in nut and bolt, not peanut or cashew nut. One that a 13mm spanner fits is about right. Replace the lid.

You now need to take it with you next time you are after those Magpies. Shake the pot, with nut inside, vigorously. You will soon learn for how long, and how fast to shake it, when the Magpies answer and come to investigate. Just copy them. Then BANG, job done.

It gets the odd look at the clay ground, but I swear by it. Be prepared, I always say. And the magpies, well we all know they don't like it up 'em*

Hanks.

*That's a Dad's Army joke, you're probably way too young to have seen that.

:lol:

my dad has all the dads army episodes on dvd

have watched most mate...class show! :good:

Where can i get one of those for my hatsan then :lol:

No need to buy a Magpie caller. Take a 35mm film, plastic canister with lid, everyone has one of those lying about, if you don't, ask your mates. Put a metal nut in it, as in nut and bolt, not peanut or cashew nut. One that a 13mm spanner fits is about right. Replace the lid.

You now need to take it with you next time you are after those Magpies. Shake the pot, with nut inside, vigorously. You will soon learn for how long, and how fast to shake it, when the Magpies answer and come to investigate. Just copy them. Then BANG, job done.

:good:

i will give that a go thanks :good:

Magpies aren't terrortial at this time of the year so larsen traps wont work until about February onwards maybe not really getting going properly until april may.

As for shooting them with a shotgun I've tried many differnt techniques and none of them produced anything really so I wouldnt reccomend a shotgun.

A hmr would be a good choice but Im sceptial as too how many your likely to see perched on trees when your out looking for them!

My best advice is to wait until February and set as many larsen traps as you can afford around the permission and this will get rid of loads trust me :good::good:

Magpies aren't terrortial at this time of the year so larsen traps wont work until about February onwards maybe not really getting going properly until april may.

As for shooting them with a shotgun I've tried many differnt techniques and none of them produced anything really so I wouldnt reccomend a shotgun.

A hmr would be a good choice but Im sceptial as too how many your likely to see perched on trees when your out looking for them!

My best advice is to wait until February and set as many larsen traps as you can afford around the permission and this will get rid of loads trust me :good::good:

i know its not the best time of year for trapping but i know the traps will work better out in the field this time of the year than they would in the shed...y anever know

i dont have hmr, and if i did i definatly wouldnt be foolish enough to be firing rounds up into trees to bag a maggy or 2!!

waiting till feb isnt really an option, not many shooters would tell the farmer they wont try as its the wrong time of year!

i will try hiding out near the sheep pen behind some pallets and stick an old rabbit out with a decoy or 2

Edited by TJ91

i know its not the best time of year for trapping but i know the traps will work better out in the field this time of the year than they would in the shed...y anever know

i dont have hmr, and if i did i definatly wouldnt be foolish enough to be firing rounds up into trees to bag a maggy or 2!!

waiting till feb isnt really an option, not many shooters would tell the farmer they wont try as its the wrong time of year!

i will try hiding out near the sheep pen behind some pallets and stick an old rabbit out with a decoy or 2

Fair enough with the traps but if you get any in it I'd be very surprised!

I'm getting a 17.hmr in a month or two and I'll definetely be using it on magpies and crows, its cheap ammunitation so why not?

To be honest I'll be surprised if you shoot any more than 10 magpies with a shotgun before February :hmm:

nowt wrong wi shooting em ont grund with a backstop with hmr but i wouldnt be firing up into trees

i will be surprised if i shoot 10 aswell...there isnt ten ont land :P

and i will be surprised if i get any in it but more likely too with it been int field and atleast the farmer knows i am trying

Which debate would this be?

I can get 50 rounds of federal premium v shok for 16.99 euros?

and I can get them at £9.25 a box

and the 17 HMR is a devastating method of despatching these black & white bandits- shoot from a vehicle out to 100 yards on a dead bunny- works for me

Les :good: