Decoys and best time to set them up.

B525 Sporter

just a litlle bit :lol: but will let you off you need to find the birds mate where there feedin and on wat they are on hardest bit

Once you have done that park up and watch them for flight lines some time s it will be mornings early or afternoon s are best

ITS all down to doing your home work more you no about there habbits better day you will have but be quick they move on quick my best days have all come from finding them the day before and hiting the the next day hope that helps .....swiss :yes:

At this time of year,pigeons generally feed all day long. I have had many a good shoot that has lasted from first light until 2-3 in the afternoon. The busiest periods can be at first light and last thing so i wouldn't be too inclined to sit and watch for flightlines etc on the day you want to shoot as you could miss the busy morning period.

There is nothing worse than birds piling into your pattern when you haven't finished setting up,so getting to a field in plenty of time and setting up early makes sense - even in the dark.

If anything, i would rather be out first thing than at any other time,as sometimes you can shoot 50+ in a couple of hours and the place goes dead for the day- job done.

just a litlle bit :lol: but will let you off you need to find the birds mate where there feedin and on wat they are on hardest bit

Once you have done that park up and watch them for flight lines some time s it will be mornings early or afternoon s are best

ITS all down to doing your home work more you no about there habbits better day you will have but be quick they move on quick my best days have all come from finding them the day before and hiting the the next day hope that helps .....swiss :yes:

ahh I've got all that bit, I know where the flight lines are.... pretty much... and certainly know what they're feeding on lol, was just wondering what the general feeling was on time to set up at this time of year. They seem all over the place at the moment with the weather. cheers for the advice though :good:

At this time of year,pigeons generally feed all day long. I have had many a good shoot that has lasted from first light until 2-3 in the afternoon. The busiest periods can be at first light and last thing so i wouldn't be too inclined to sit and watch for flightlines etc on the day you want to shoot as you could miss the busy morning period.

There is nothing worse than birds piling into your pattern when you haven't finished setting up,so getting to a field in plenty of time and setting up early makes sense - even in the dark.

If anything, i would rather be out first thing than at any other time,as sometimes you can shoot 50+ in a couple of hours and the place goes dead for the day- job done.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated :good: that's pretty much what I thought, It seems to go dead after 10 at the moment, loads around, but not much movement, they seem very weary. I guess that they limit flight whilst food is scarce!?!? Is it worth making/buying a magnet for this time of year over rape? I'm currently getting a few in with 12-15 shell coys, but they seem really unpredictable with regards of patterns.

Edited by B525 Sporter

If there's a lack of wind then setting out a pattern can be more difficult. Not having any real idea which way the birds are going to come in on that final approach can make it hard. Best thing to do is change things around to find what works best. Even with a magnet you would still have the same problem.

If there is a decent breeze then a floater or two would always help, as would a magnet but floaters are lighter to carry.

They are cheaper too!

GH