Boxing day

rimfire4969

On boxing day I have got loads of family coming over for the afternoon, what should I cook them. 2 of them are in their 80's and don't like foreign muck one other does not like fish. I am thinking of a one pot dish. I have loads of my own pork and lamb, I also have venison, pheasant and a few other things in the freezer. I really want to cook it a different day then heat it up on the day so alot less work.

Ideas please.

Boxing Day for me was always cold meats, pickles, chutneys etc, followed by Christmas Pudding Mince Pies, washed down with a nice beer, glass of port or sherry.

And I would not mind guessing if you asked the 80 year olds they would say, we had this when we were younger.

No foreign, the nearest being Brussell Sprouts.

Every thing prepared the day before, little effort by anyone on the day, lay it out on the table and help yourself, everyone gets to enjoy the day.

Edited by bakerboy

How a bout a game pie or similar easy to prep in advance then just stick in the oven with some veg, or a boiled gammon joint/ham which you can roast on the day (marinade in orange and honey) lovely cold after wards server with parsely sauce and early spuds if you can get any (witht the day before being Xmas day a ham you can boil on Xmas eve

Edited by HDAV

Boxing Day for me was always cold meats, pickles, chutneys etc, followed by Christams Pudding Mince Pies, washed down with a nice beer, glass of port or sherry.

And I would not mind guessing if you asked the 80 year olds they would say, we had this when we were younger.

No foreign, the nearest being Brussell Sprouts.

Every thing prepared the day before, little effort by anyone on the day, lay it out on the table and help yourself, everyone gets to enjoy the day.

I'd agree with young Bakerboy. Best part of the Chistmas holiday because all are relaxed, just chatting and enjoying each others company.

We do the same on new years day open house and all family invited.

Lay out buffet style, cold meats (big ol ham) beef, chicken,I do a game pie, cheese,crusty bread and pickles. Only thing hot is mashed potato.

All left on table for people to "graze" on through out the day at their leisure as they come and go.

Most of the work can be done before the day leaving you free to entertain your guests.

Cold meat is always a winner. Last year, I roasted a topside of beef, a pork joint, and my usual xmas ham, on xmas eve. They were served up on boxing day with the usual pickles, cheeses etc and mince pies, xmas cake, and fried slices of left over xmas pud (the only hot thing except the mulled wine :good: ) My gran enjoyed it :yes:

On boxing day I have got loads of family coming over for the afternoon, what should I cook them. 2 of them are in their 80's and don't like foreign muck one other does not like fish. I am thinking of a one pot dish. I have loads of my own pork and lamb, I also have venison, pheasant and a few other things in the freezer. I really want to cook it a different day then heat it up on the day so alot less work.

Ideas please.

is Greggs open on boxing day?