DECOYING CROWS

Tiff

Get as many decoys as you can afford, and place them in a ramdom fashion. The best caller to use in my opinion, is the Primos Power crow call, which retails at around £10.

I place any birds shot, into the pattern, to build it up.

I also keep a few dead crows and freeze them (in MY freezer up the shed!)to use next time.

Another excellent bit of kit is a flapper. I have one connected to an intermittent timer, and this is deadly for attracting the birds.

Steve.

Plenty of decoys(as many as you can lay your hands on),sometimes spread out,and sometimes close together :yes: just depends on the day, see how its going and adjust your decoy pattern if needed,and fill up your pattern with shot birds.

Best tip is build yourself a decent hide with a top net and stay still until the crows have commited, and are within range :yes: BB

I always find a flapper works well when crow shooting especially when used with a timer ,nothing like a bit of movement in the pattern :good: A rotary/magnet can also be effective,but a little on the heavy side.

Edited by Bluebarrels

ok thanks ,ill have to get some more decoys then as ive only got 3 so far ,but i have got the crow caller as mentioned above,i just need a bit of practice with it though.

Before you rush out and spend your cash on more decoys,try using the 3 you have and building up the pattern as you shoot birds,this is what most people do :yes: or if you want a cheaper alternative buy a dozen stacking pigeon shell decoys and paint them with blackboard matt paint :good: these will work well for you :good::good: BB

being where the crows are wanting to be is the main thing

a decent hide and dont move when they are approaching, stay still until the last second

(no peeping over the top of the net)

on another note..i have never used decoys (and have had some good bags), get under a flightline and just put out what you shoot

I cant really give advice on getting those crows, as Im in the same situation myself, having tried 5 deeks, also the dead rabbit, stuff fox, and big plastic owl, nothing has worked so far, but I wont give up,

but as for getting more deeks, Im going to give these a try on tuesday, on my pigeon magnet, made from twin-wall plastic sheet, the type that house "for sale" signs are made from, just cut out the shape then added an undercarriage by folding an stapling with a paper stapler, spray black, have only made two so far, but have enough plastic for a few more to go on the bouncers if they work...

Image0397.jpg

being where the crows are wanting to be is the main thing

a decent hide and dont move when they are approaching, stay still until the last second

(no peeping over the top of the net)

on another note..i have never used decoys (and have had some good bags), get under a flightline and just put out what you shoot

I agree with locating a decent flightline,but if the birds are high,which they are quite often,using decoys is the best way to get their attention and pull them into a shootable range :yes: BB

I agree with locating a decent flightline,but if the birds are high,which they are quite often,using decoys is the best way to get their attention and pull them into a shootable range :yes: BB

depends on the ground you shoot over and the weather, and the distance the crows will be flying

the flightlines between roost and feeding fields (pig unit) where i go, the crows are very rarely out of range if you are directly under them

a good strong wind is best, it seems to keep them very low

Observe them closely, were are they favouring at what times what routes do they prefer. you are dealing with a very wise bird that learns quick and has the sharpest of eyes and is used to all sort of people having a shot at them.

With a rifle bait such as a dead rabbit with its guts out and a few deeks works well, with the shotgun i prefer far more deeks. the hide needs to be good with a good background to fool those sharp eyes. Shooting flightlines can be effective but more than an odd time with plenty space inbetween and they will adjust thier route.

Dead birds beat plasic and flock beats paint.

Hit them hard but dont hit them too often in the same place, personally i wait till just prior to nesting to reduce numbers of breeders and just after to acount for the juvies. doing them all year just wises them up and its the nest sites and young birds they do most damage to on my ground anyway. :good:

- interest aside i saw a crow knock a snipe out of the air the other week, it recovered and flew on again but the crow pursued it like a sparrow hawk and hit it again feet first this time killing it. although it had no further intrest in its kill by way of food at least not at that moment in time, i am sure they have the memory and brain power to return it seemed like killing for the sake of it to myself :angry:

Whats the best way to decoy crows?ive tried a decoys stood over a dead pheasant with limited success.How about a owl decoy?maybe stood over a dead crow?what do you guys do.

have you tried since?, Im hoping to get out in the morning and try the plastics out with my homemade magnets decoys, Ill let you know