Cheap shooting truck - what options?

adam f

i just been looking thru ebay and added that to my watch list

i am looking for 1 aswel, but wont be buying till march/april time, and hopefully get 1 with less miles..

I hear the petrol is better than the diesel

but i never got to the bottom of it, can anyone tell me why?

Really? I've always heard go for the diesel over the petrol??

oh :oops:

i guess each have ther own problems

i heard it from 2 people, they both owned petrols, biased opinions i guess

anybody know much about 1.8 freelanders?

i know they dont have much ground clearance but i guess some decent tyres would give abit extra...are the engines reliable?

oh :oops:

i guess each have ther own problems

i heard it from 2 people, they both owned petrols, biased opinions i guess

i know they dont have much ground clearance but i guess some decent tyres would give abit extra...are the engines reliable?

Have to watch the 1.8 petrols as they are notorious for the head gaskets going. There was mods with a bigger or multi-layer gasket and poss different stat. Loads of info on the net about these.

IMO would make a good shooting truck, look on a few posts down a guy has lifted his and it looks good and providing your not seriously off roading should be OK. Might look at getting one myself, lifting it and a better set of tyres, 3 dr and take rear seats outs or a commercial.

1.8 16V K series although heads are a real issue most of the cars out of long bridge in the last 10+ years of production were 4 pot K series. Same basic engine was in the rover 200/400/600/25/45/MGF/MG ZR 1.4-1.8 petrols, better cheaper options I recon I have always thought the the Rav4.1 SWB would make a decent shootign/lamping truck full time 4wd twin sunroofs you can stand out of centre diff lock Toyota relaibility....in the summer there were soem for £500 on ebay shoudl have bought one... :oops: £1500-£2k now!

Edited by HDAV

1.8 16V K series although heads are a real issue most of the cars out of long bridge in the last 10+ years of production were 4 pot K series. Same basic engine was in the rover 200/400/600/25/45/MGF/MG ZR 1.4-1.8 petrols, better cheaper options I recon I have always thought the the Rav4.1 SWB would make a decent shootign/lamping truck full time 4wd twin sunroofs you can stand out of centre diff lock Toyota relaibility....in the summer there were soem for £500 on ebay shoudl have bought one... :oops: £1500-£2k now!

I use a 2.8 Pajero mate and it go's through and over every thing,it's the long wheel base vesion, it carrys all my gear and two or three mates and there stuff as well,but like most 4x4s the mpg is not great,I looked around and got one in good nik at a resonable price,I'm well pleased with it,make shaw though that you get a decent set of tyres for off road work.