Cheap shooting truck - what options?

adam f

I'm considering a 2nd car as a dedicated bad weather / shooting truck.

I drive a company BMW which I LOVE but it's flipping useless across fields, stubble, snow, ice etc - in fact anything apart from tarmac!

I dont want to spend a fortune, maybe £2k max, but less if possible - what options do I have guys? Running costs ands relaibility are a big issue as I dont want to be pouring money at somehting I'll use less than once a week??

i have a 110 landy as my shooting and fishing truck. It is a young one, only about 20 years old, a 200TDI. In the last 10 years it has only failed to get us home twice, once our fault, we broke it and once the clutch hydraulics failed. It is used off road every week ofetn in extreme conditions and is a joy, i really like it. may car is no use for fishing or shooting, or in the wet or ice or snowe, it is a jag and although i love it at times i hope to own this landy forever. i guess it is like the janitors brush as much of it has been repalced over the years, but it is a true go anywhere shooting truck.

However they are holding their value well these days, but i think value for money you would not go to far wrong with a fourtrack or a suzuki, any model 4x4. I hear great things about them, I have had both years ago and the fourtrack was excellent, really powerfull, the suzuki also seems great off road, but mine really never got much of a workout then.

Wrong time of year to buy a 4x4 especially a cheap good one... £2k is reasonable money for something but Landrovers and Hilux's are the cream of the 4x4 crop Fronty, Vitara, Pajero/Shogun, Trooper are worth looking at also consider Jeep Grand Cherokee (the 4.0/4.7L), Disco if you can a solid one, Nissan Terrano Ford Maverick.

Wrong time of year to buy a 4x4 especially a cheap good one... £2k is reasonable money for something but Landrovers and Hilux's are the cream of the 4x4 crop Fronty, Vitara, Pajero/Shogun, Trooper are worth looking at also consider Jeep Grand Cherokee (the 4.0/4.7L), Disco if you can a solid one, Nissan Terrano Ford Maverick.

I think every man and his dog have had the same idea I know I have been looking along the same lines with the same feedback as above,small japs turn up and move quickly

hi mate get yourself a toyota surf import go for the 3ltr not the 2.4 as some have heating issues , although i have a 2.4 its a bit under power, mine is 18 years old and every thing works and i mean every thing, and remember a 4x4 is only as good as the tyres it standing on

truck059.jpg

truck058.jpg

truck061.jpg

Edited by bigears

£2k most will have their problems and each make has its quirks,imo my frontera has been the right choice for me as my shooting truck,i wanted a defender 90 but couldnt justify the money so ended up with my second choice frontera swb series a apache :blush: but wow :good: what a 4x4,the rear section top comes off in seconds to make a safe standing place for the lamper and the gun,the apache came standard with bigger wheels/tyres,bull bar/lights,rock sliders etc.

I have used it twice a week for over a year through all mud snow etc over fields and lanes and it has cpoed with everything in its path with ease and is even better now i have a £400 set of grabber at2 fitted.

Others to consider in no particular order are;

trooper

landy

fourtrack

toyota

suzuki

plus numerous others,just check out what you gonna spend your money on and make sure it will do what you want,remember that tyres play the biggest part of any 4x4.

same boat as me then BMW for the road 4x4 for shooting this is mine a dependable if greedy surf had it 7 years changed the brake pads and serviced it ( oh changed the cam belt by choice rather than need) and thats it

totally abused but totally faithfull

KW

post-11-1077323018.jpg

The BMW hasnt been off the drive in over a week - useless! But awesome in the dry...

Thanks for all the advice!

Indeed - it does seem a bad time of year to be looking!

I quite fancy a SWB Frontera at the moment...

Edited by adam f

I must agree with chrispti,

The wife and I had an early suzuki jeep(SJ) in our younger days, used to rattle alot and was a bit drafty, but it would go anywhere and was a peice of p!%& to maintain . would run on a tenner for a fortnight, and was alot of fun.

I actually miss the little thing and would have another tomorrow :good:

You won't be let down.

I've got one - and it's super.

thats one word for it :oops:

I prefer smelly personally :lol:

a lot with a cheap 4x4 depends what you want to use it for, if you want to lamp off the top there are some a lot better than others, if you want to just get there and unload gear from the back you want one of the Jap diesel offerings as they just keep on going. Fourtraks without too much tin worm are very hard to beat from a cost and reliability side, same with the Isuzu trooper. Best advice though is buy the best one you can find in your budget and not a shed with the intentions of doing it up

I have had my LWB Frontera for 4 years now and it has been brilliant, its a 1998 late series A with the Isuzu 2.8TD engine. Never given me any trouble and only had to do normal maintenance to it like brake pads etc, selectable 2wd,4wd high and 4wd Low so when you are on the road stick it in 2wd and fuel economy improves and when it gets really sticky 4wd low will get you anywhere. Best part it cost me £700 to buy which left extra money to put a proper set of tyres on it :good: