charlie no show

Dickthomas

Anybody else out there having trouble getting charlie to come out to play in the snow?

Its the worst bout of snow in living memory here on Anglesey, and charlies' not playing ball! Been out half a dozen times over the past 10 days or so, and havent been able to squeak one, never mind shoot one.We havent seen any at all. I know its a strange time this time of year, what with other things on charlies' mind, but I thought I would at least have picked out a pair of eyes, but nothing!

Whats everyone else experiencing?

Any tips?

Thanks, ****

I have been out foxing last couple of weeks thinking hey ho easy pickings but no joy seen 3, dog and bitch chasing one another and a fox eating a rabbit the other side of the valley but nothing in range of my rifle, there not squeaking in at all go out every night when theres cloud cover pull in a decent spot and wait 30 ish miutes having a goo glass around with the binos and squeaking and nothing! Oh well live and let live a bit of balls deep is more alluring who can blame them!

Weather like this is time to change your habits like the fox does,they are more often seen in the mornings at this time of year as they have been out on the pull and missed the last bus home,when its all frozen they struggle to find food and so wait out in day light,I saw two at different places in North Cornwall last week one at 1.15pm and the other nearer 2pm.I have told my mate that its a bit pointless at the moment but he doesnt listen then tells me he's been out driving around in the evenings and not seen a thing,you cant help some people.

I've had signs of foxes moving about in the snow on my permissions but not in any great numbers and as I am still waiting for my variation for the .243 I have not been able to do much about them anyway. Their time will come soon enough but I did have a very unusual thing happen the other day!

I was out after a couple of rabbits with the "Hummer" and spotted 2 bunnies scratching in the snow trying to find something to eat. One about 70 yards out and the other about 100 yards away. I took the nearest with what looked like a clean head shot and was lining the second one in the crosshairs when a movement near the first rabbit distracted me. I looked more carefully and noticed a fox creeping out of the hedge and sniffing at the air near the rabbit that I had just shot. I remained dead still to see what was going to happen. The fox looked straight at me and then back at the rabbit and then made quite casually made it's way to the freshly shot rabbit. It picked it up in it's mouth and just stood there for a few seconds looking at me as if to say "Sorry mate but my need is greater than yours in this weather" and then strutted off as bold as brass with my rabbit in it's mouth!

I have heard of similar things happening before but never expected to see such a thing. The point is that even with the SAK moderator on my Hummer the fox will almost certainly have heard the shot but did not seem to be put off in the slightest. The poor little bu**er must have been starving to be prepared to take a chance like that. I could have taken the thieving little devil out there and then quite cleanly and humanely and no-one would have been any the wiser, but as he had showed such bravery and bare faced cheek I didn't have heart to shoot him. Not to worry, he will be there for another day and I might not be in such a forgiving mood then!

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I've had signs of foxes moving about in the snow on my permissions but not in any great numbers and as I am still waiting for my variation for the .243 I have not been able to do much about them anyway. Their time will come soon enough but I did have a very unusual thing happen the other day!

I was out after a couple of rabbits with the "Hummer" and spotted 2 bunnies scratching in the snow trying to find something to eat. One about 70 yards out and the other about 100 yards away. I took the nearest with what looked like a clean head shot and was lining the second one in the crosshairs when a movement near the first rabbit distracted me. I looked more carefully and noticed a fox creeping out of the hedge and sniffing at the air near the rabbit that I had just shot. I remained dead still to see what was going to happen. The fox looked straight at me and then back at the rabbit and then made quite casually made it's way to the freshly shot rabbit. It picked it up in it's mouth and just stood there for a few seconds looking at me as if to say "Sorry mate but my need is greater than yours in this weather" and then strutted off as bold as brass with my rabbit in it's mouth!

I have heard of similar things happening before but never expected to see such a thing. The point is that even with the SAK moderator on my Hummer the fox will almost certainly have heard the shot but did not seem to be put off in the slightest. The poor little bu**er must have been starving to be prepared to take a chance like that. I could have taken the thieving little devil out there and then quite cleanly and humanely and no-one would have been any the wiser, but as he had showed such bravery and bare faced cheek I didn't have heart to shoot him. Not to worry, he will be there for another day and I might not be in such a forgiving mood then!

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Have to say,(personally) the fox would have got a vmax to the face as soon as he got within tasting distance of the rabbit :lol:

FB it has happened to me once on one of the golf courses i shoot they like to keep the fox's alive to help keep the rabbits down. Anyway one night i was driving my motor down the 8th fairway which has a bank on the drivers side i spotted this rabbit at about 85yds so i shot it with my .22 rimmie.. I had the lamp on top and swung it round to my mates side to spot a rabbit for him to shoot. He shot it and i started to drive forwards to pick mine up put the lamp on the rabbit we got about 50yds away and a fox walked over the hill picked my rabbit up i shouted "get off you thieving ******" it just looked at me as if to say sod you mate i have it so its mine.. My mate nearly pee-ed himself laughing...This was middle of summer got my own back in the game season we were shooting ducks on the same course( this course has 4 ponds )he shot a duck and left it hung in the fork of a bush when we got back from one of the other ponds there was charlie legging it across the fairway with his duck in its mouth..Its open season on them since then as long as my mates wife who owns the course does not know... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My mates not that bothered its his wife that likes them..