Case Trim

garyb

Gents... a question for you

Supose you reload for 2 or more calibres.

What can I do (or buy), so that I can trim both calibres on the same trimmer - without having to mess about with the trimmer stop setting each time I go from one to the other?

I have a Forster Original trimmer, which is currently set to trim to length my .243 brass, but I also want to trim .308

Please don't tell me I need another trimmer, as at £100 each that does sound like overkill.

Are there any trimmers on the market that would save me this PITA ?

Ta

Buy a Lee cutter,case trimmer and shell holder for the 308, works well in a cordless drill. Have a look on Opticswarehouse.co.uk,they are very cheap.

Hi,

:stupid:

Unless you're thinking of matching Winchester for production output, this is ideal. Once you've got the cases trimmed accurately, it's just a second or two to do per reload.

Cheers

What length do they trim to?

Gary, good question!

These are no good if you're thinking of fiddling with the standard nominal case lengths (except, perhaps, to shorten them) as the are made to that dimension (isn't 308 2.015?). The trim length guide is interchangeable for the various calibres so only one cutter is needed.

Cheers

Gary, good question!

These are no good if you're thinking of fiddling with the standard nominal case lengths (except, perhaps, to shorten them) as the are made to that dimension (isn't 308 2.015?). The trim length guide is interchangeable for the various calibres so only one cutter is needed.

Cheers

Yep 308 is 2.015 so the cutter will prob be a tad under that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. so this Lee cutter turned up today.

One question is... the case length gauge (308) dosent appear to want to screw down flush with the head of the cutter?

There is a 5mm gap

Is this right?

I haven't tried to force it yet!

Cheers mark

Gave it a nip with the pliers last night and it's now screwed in correctly.

Sizing 308 consistently down to 2.0065, which is fine for my needs - although perhaps a little short :)

Thanks guys.

Take it apart, drop some lead shot out of a cartridge down it nip it back up cut another case, repeat as needed till you get the right length.