old bottles

bradders2

hiya,

do any of you lads out ferreting,ever come across old bottles from victorian rubbish tips ?.there easy enough to spot,mainly cinders and broken pottery and rabbits love digging

in such places.

i live in the nantwich area and i am looking for places to dig for old bottles

many thanks

bradders

We have a brook next to the lane where we live you can see the bottles sticking out these are probably from the farmers that lived here years ago dumping there rubbish in the stream if you dig them out the bank would probably collapse and then you would have united tilities on your case

Mark

hiya,

do any of you lads out ferreting,ever come across old bottles from victorian rubbish tips ?.there easy enough to spot,mainly cinders and broken pottery and rabbits love digging

in such places.

i live in the nantwich area and i am looking for places to dig for old bottles

many thanks

bradders

we have a place like that on a bit of land i shoot it is full of bottles over there and we get these pricks that come on the land and dig great big holes looking for this sort of thing WICH THEY ARE NOT ALOUD TO DO some of these holes are that big i can stand in one and not be seen and im 6'2"(i tested it with a mate) one of these fools found a moorcroft ashtray and a krugarand coin :blink:

Edited by rimmie

I get my bottles from the seabed. Old victorian dumping site near me in about 30m had quite a few nice ones. Alot of the old marble bottles. On my permission under an old bridge there is a load of bottles too that were dumped there years ago. As mentioned above you see all sorts of people there sometimes digging them out

I used to dig Victorian dumps for bottles and pot lids, we used to get loads. Some good stuff too, loads of stone ginger beer bottles, marble Codd bottles and those Hamilton bottles that don't stand up. Getting hard to find sites that haven't been dug these days. Used to find them by looking for signs like loads of stinging nettles, elder and blackthorn, which grow well on rich soil like you get where there was a dump. (as well as the obvious broken glass and pottery bits)

There were good places on the marshes in Kent, miles and miles of it, where the rubbish barges used to come down the Thames and dump stuff in the marshes :good: Lot of it been built on now though. <_<

I didnt collect bottles as such, but there was an old Early Victorian tip in the village where I lived. No one knew it was there until one night in the mid 70,s we had a really bad storm and a couple of trees which had grown on the tip were uprooted.Tangled inthe roots of the trees were dozens of old bottles. We schoolkids removed many of them before the "professionals" moved in and started excavating properly. One of my friends fathers was keen on Bottles and he gave us a couple of quid for the ones we dug out. One I remember was of 18th century Bristol Blue glass which he was particularly impressed with, but there were lots with round balls intact in the stoppers and loads of old perfume and poison bottles as well as beer bottles and flagons from the local Fairford & Cirencester Brewery

we have a place like that on a bit of land i shoot it is full of bottles over there and we get these pricks that come on the land and dig great big holes looking for this sort of thing WICH THEY ARE NOT ALOUD TO DO some of these holes are that big i can stand in one and not be seen and im 6'2"(i tested it with a mate) one of these fools found a moorcroft ashtray and a krugarand coin :blink:

Doesnt sound much of a fool to me... :lol::lol::lol:

found plenty on the golf course were i worked,lots of old clay pipes probebly from when it was farm land.had a lot of trouble with bottle diggers doing damage on the course.the pros used to bring motorised augers to drill pilot holes to see what came up.across the river from us was a small holding/garden centre the old boy that ran it had a heart attack and wilst in hospital the diggers ruined his place,it was marked on the old maps as the village tip these diggers used to do there research.