Decoying Rooks.

Bleeh

I'm going to have a go at Decoying a large group of rooks off a Rookery (that can't be shot due to it's immediate location above a pig farm; loud bangs would worry the beasts). And I was going to just chuck out a bunch of rook decoys out, with a few pigeon decoys in the mix.

I'm going to go about it like I would Pigeon shooting, but I was wondering if there was any tips or tricks anyone knows that would save me learning the hard way?

Hi,

I did a bit of this myself for the first time last year.

Put out your rook decoys (I used 6) in a fairly random pattern - don't arrange any 'V's or other specific pattern. I'd put a few pigeon decoys (if you want to) in a small 'v' to one side of the rook group - don't mix them up.

Other than that they should come in just as pigeons do - it's good shooting. I'd go for something heavier than you normally use for pigeons - suggest 5's or even 4's. But otherwise 32g of no 6's will do the job.

Keep an eye on crossing birds that you appear to miss - I found that a few did this but then dropped stone dead 100 yards away.

Good luck - give us an update!

Steve

i used to look after 300 pigs, and we used to shoot right next to them and it did not bother them at all.they took no notice of the bangs at all.we done this on another farm as well. they dont mine,

I also shoot over a pig farm,and it doesnt bother them at all :good::good: BB

I used to shoot rooks around a farm I used to shoot on and even tho there was loads in the rookery once I'd fired a shot they always would come back u could bet once I left they would come watching I tried every thing from decoying nothing ever worked until I took one of my friend shooting one day and he brought his rook u caller with him well apart from if u have it to close it drives u crazy it's amazing I went straight home that day and order one never looked back since and also as other people have said the pigs won't take any notice remember when shooting rooks 9 times out of ten ur think o this one dead it's flying really slow but ur wrong there flying just as fast as a woody just there wing beat pattern is different

Like i said in my post above,youll be fine shooting over pigs :good: just make sure you watch the low birds coming into decoys and make sure you have a clear shot :yes: dont end up getting carried away and peppering his pigs.Be sure to remove shot birds that fall into the pig pens asap, otherwise the farmer wont be best pleased when he finds his pigs chomping on dead carrion :good::good: BB