Lead free pellets

jonno

I have just been told that a couple of my chickens have died due to lead poisoning. :sad1:

There is only one small area in the garden where I dispatch squirrels and it has a solid wall as a backstop. The chickens love to scratch around by the wall (which I have now temporarily fenced off) so my guess is they have eaten some of the pellets.

I have been looking for lead-free alternatives and have seen Prometheus pellets which have received some bad press. My question is - would they be OK for dispatching squirrels from a maximum range of 10 yards from a full power .22 springer (Weihrauch)?

Thanks.

At that range I would have thought almost anything would kill a squirrel. Have you thought of using different pellet designs - points/hollow points so that the pellet stays in the squirrel? We have had a plague in the last couple of weeks and both RWS domes and points at 15-20 yards stay in the beast.

I have never had a lead pellet go straight through any squirrel I have killed and I'm talking about 20 - 80 a year for well over twenty years.

If you use lead pellets such as JSB Exacts or AA Fields and hit the squirrel in the chest or head then the pellet will end up staying inside the squirrel. It won't penetrate straight through like a non-lead pellet might. And lead pellets are far more accurate without the barrel sweeping necessity.

To be honest, in your sitauation you might be better off trapping the squiggles ;)

To be honest, in your sitauation you might be better off trapping the squiggles ;)

I've put out a rabbit trap and a mink trap side by side in the past. I've only caught 3 and all in the larger rabbit trap, none in the smaller mink trap. The only problem is I must have caught at least six pheasants in the rabbit trap over the same time period (or it's really stupid and it's the same one six times!) and they tend to hurt themselves in a matter of moments - so I don't use it now. I also tended to go soft when I've caught the squirrels and have 'relocated' them a few miles away - and I'm not sure if that is legal......

no it's the Dynamic he's talking about i think

I'm open to all suggestions - just looking for recommendations from people that have used something lead free in a similar sort of gun at 10 yards. Your suggestions of Gamo Raptor and RWS Hypermax sound good - have you used them?

Jonno.

Have lab test confirmed lead poisoning as their cause of death?

The vet said he was 99% certain from the symptoms and recommended not to bother - blindness, very weak, wasting and watery green diarrhea. He could be wrong but 'Err indoors will give me a hard time if I don't change to lead free.

Jonno

logun penetrator are lead free and ive had squirrels at all sorts of ranges with them , they are 16 grain so carry alot of energy to the target

Logun Penetrators are advertised as being lead pellets.

There are several issues here;

If you hit the squirrel with a lead pellet it will stay in the squirrel. The hens won't eat the pellet.

You may have a load of lead pellets laid about from previous shooting sessions that need clearing up.

Trapping is your best option. Squirrels are agile and clever, pheasants aren't. I'm sure that you can organise a trap to exclude pheasants and catch the squirrels.

You may have a load of lead pellets laid about from previous shooting sessions that need clearing up.

Trapping is your best option. Squirrels are agile and clever, pheasants aren't. I'm sure that you can organise a trap to exclude pheasants and catch the squirrels.

'Great minds' as they say!

I have just spent the morning clearing up - no lead left there now

I have also built an off-ground platform for the trap. The plan is to bait it up in two stages until they get used to it and then just bait the trap at the top. A cunning plan!

Jonno

Hate to disagree about pellets staying in a squirrel-shot one in the back garden just over a month back and with an Air Arms S200 the pellet went straight thru the chest cavity and hit the fence panel behind-no more than 15 yard shot though.

In my expeience, it depends on the range at which they are shot. I've not experienced the shot going clear through a squirrel at 20+ yards to date.

I have this happen on rabbits and I'm reluctant to shoot a bunny at less than 25 yards with my .177 HW100 with a cranial shot.

Squirrels, in my experience are a lot tougher than rabbits - they go with a heck of a 'crack' with a head shot don't they?

:yp:

I agree that a head shot is more likely to stop the slug exiting-the last squirrel i shot had spent most of its life eating my Hazelnuts and every time i managed to grab the gun he did a dissapearing act (much to my sons amusement as he informed me once that whilst i was scanning the tree via the scope the squirrel was sitting on the fence next to me).When i finally managed to get a bead on him he was digging under the kids trampoline? and when i took aim i was shaking like a novice (leaning on a wall as well)-i snatched the shot while the bulk of him was in the crosshairs and thought that i,d missed as he ran off-however, sanity and temper were restored when he collapsed about 10 yards down the garden with a neat hole clean thru him.Revenge was sweet-like my flipping nuts i,ll bet.

Hahahaha! Fab story Bruno - really made me chuckle :lol:

Keep 'em coming :good:

Did you read in ST recently? A group of grey squirrel huggers have been releasing greys they've nursed back to health - NE are saying there is no record of a license to release them (by law they have to be humanely destroyed). The group is being investigated.

I want to know where they are releasing the greys - give me a chance to undo their bad work! :huh:

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan

Logun Penetrators are advertised as being lead pellets.

There are several issues here;

If you hit the squirrel with a lead pellet it will stay in the squirrel. The hens won't eat the pellet.

on the packs i have it says no lead pellets penetrates deeper guaranteed thats on all 10 packs