Dead frogs

inshallah

we had the dead frog problem with our pond, the sides were vertical and the water line was about half foot below ground level, the poor ******* just couldnt get out the water and it finished em off

the ice more than likely wouldnt help them

stick a few blocks or a little wooden ramp out of the pond so they can get out easier

Edited by TJ91

I lost all my fish 7 in total had them 15 years.one of them was about 5lb in weight.I am a bit gutted really as they have survived other winters.I was away and my wife had trouble to keep the ice off the pond and temprature was down to -12

I lost 2 fish as well. Just goldfish, but it was a shame. Probably poor water quality because of the dead frogs. I've done a big water change.

if the pond is deep enough the fish should be ok (for warmth)in the depths

just let a football float on the surface, this will make a small bit not freeze up allowing enough air into the water for the fish to breathfailing that get an air line rigged up and get the water moving

I had the same problem with dead frogs this year too.

Deffo the Ice on the pond, On my pond it was 4" thick at one point.

I had to break it once it started to thaw as Bill, one of my 2 mirror Carp was looking ill. Ben seemed fine tho.

Eventually got all my fish out and into fresh water (2 Mirror Carp around 4-5lb each, A Ghost Koi and a Tench both about 1/2lb each).

I then emptied the pond, cleaned and refilled it...All on new years Day.

Thankfully all my fish are ok...Cant say the same for the Frogs tho'..Took about 50 out...All dead.

Never mind, there'll be more back in there come the spring.

I found six dead frogs in our pond today yet the fish are OK.In the winter the frogs live in mud at the bottom of the pond and just about exist,breathing through their skin.I kept a hole in the ice,even though we went down to -12,by keeping the circulating pump running and moving the water about.

We had a hedgehog in the garden today hoovering up the dropped sunflower seeds.It was an an adult and looked fit so we left it.Whereever it came from it had survived the cold spell.

Vic.

Your frogs died because of the cold weather as most leave the water and hide simular as toads in undergrowth, under rocks,etc and they carnt hold their breath all winter under water lol ! If your pond is open then by placeing a airline and ball (as stated) will help but you must never turn off your filter !! Either cover pond if small like a polly tunnel or float bubble wrap over surface (if wide staple B/wrap together)and bubble wrap filter box, dont start emptying and refilling ponds at this time of year as quick water temp changes will cause as much harm to your fish as a bit smelly water.This is a quick tip as i dont know your setup ?

Is the bubble wrap just an insulator to keep the frost off? Like covering your fruit blossom on a frosty night?

I was surprised that there were so many frogs in there, because, as you say, I would expect them to be hiding under a rock somewhere hibernating.

I don't have a filter. It's just a low-tec goldfish pond with a low stocking density. I haven't checked the nitrates etc. for years, but I don't expect there to be a problem because the fish look fine and healthy.