choke & cartridge combo's

Steve

Hi. Myself and Lazza prefer to use Hull Catridge Special Pigeon No 6 with 32grm Load.  I use 1/4 and 1/2 chokes but i intend to go to 1/2 and 3/4 as soon as i get my 3/4 coke for my Barreta 687 Silver Pigeon 28" Game which came with two Skeet a 1/4, 1/2 and Full Chokes :thumbs:

Gamebore have just introduced a new cartridge called Pigeon Extreme with a 34gms load for hard hitting knock down power (their words) in 5 or 6.  I think ill have to give them a try I just need to remember to mount the gun properly or its gonna hurt:what:

• 2 months later...

Just an observation here guys.  Lately I've been using 7.5's through a full choke and it seems to be a good combo for distance.  I've shot high birds coming in to roost, and long birds over decoys when they won't come in any closer to my hide.  I only found this out when I shot a field full of crows fully expecting to be able to decoy them into 30yds or so.  It turned out that they just would not come any closer to the boundary hedge than 40-45 yards.  All I had with me were 7.5's, so I screwed in a full choke and hey presto!  I downed quite a few that day and they were mostly clean kills.

Not great if you do get a close shot though, pattern is too tight!!

I use 32gram no6 shot through 1/4 and 1/2 chokes. i use this combo for driven pheasant, pigeon decoying and roost shooting. For hares I prefer Hymax with no4 shot. I prefer fibre wads over plastic cups simply because they break-down quicker once fired.