Overland trip

Chally2

I'm trying to convince the wife that we should go overlanding before she gets up the duff.

I have thought we could do it it 1 of 2 ways.

1 do the morroco/ france/ portugal thing in my own disco,

we have most of the equipment, oz tent etc, but the disco would need money spent on decent servicing, spares etc.

or

2 go further away like mongolia and get one of there cars and do that, which wont put milage on mine and no worry of damage but the down side Im also not using mine which is the point in having one.

The europe sounds good not too far No flights, but the over arching thing putting me off is the price of deisel and the slog of motor way driving,, here and in europe. It would make for an expensive holiday best part of a tank a day. We all know thats not cheap any more.

I could only go for 2 weeks, so probably 1 week really roughing it and 1 week soaking up the rays with a g and t.

So the point is can any one recommend any good companies for both.

Is it best to go solo, but you don't know where to go.

Any one else thinking of doing this around July/August

Any one want to convince me or the wife anymore or put me off. Your choice.

cheers for your replies.

Robin

What ever way you do it do the research, presume you are already looking at the following sites:-

http://www.africa-overland.net/

and also a good one...

http://www.siroccoverland.350.com/Front_Page.htm

Had the same thoughts 6 months ago and was looking for a disco to do it in, great for comfort but not the rust, therefore went to the 110 with a 200tdi engine in. Great for storage not comfort!

Given up on the idea for now but may do it in 5 years time or so, if anything I would start off on a smaller trip like in the last link above and go from there.

Best of luck!

Why bother going abroad for what is only a green lane trip. You can start off in south Wales and head north over the brecons ,do strata Florida then follow some of the ceriog trail then hopefully the wayfarer ending around llangolen . The whole trip takes about a week and uses very few roads . All camping can be wild or on sites . Will also save on ferries and fuel and takes in some of the best senery you will ever see. You just need to do your research and stay on the correct side of the law by not going off piste

I would put your LandRover In your garage to play with when you get back and invest in a good Toyota Land Cruiser that way you can go without worrying if or when it will brake down. also I would have thought spar parts would be much easer to find as they seem to prefer the Land Cruiser to most other trucks in that part of the world.

I would put your LandRover In your garage to play with when you get back and invest in a good Toyota Land Cruiser that way you can go without worrying if or when it will brake down. also I would have thought spar parts would be much easer to find as they seem to prefer the Land Cruiser to most other trucks in that part of the world.

Sounds like you haven't driven as far as the end of your drive.

best leave the off roading to those who know what thy are taking about. :yp:

FIGHT ! :lol::lol::lol:

Mr 4WD makes a good point though, what vehicle is used for the hardest and dangerous expiditions....it aint no landrover is it ? :hmm:

Seem to remember seeing a lot of Toyotas doing this kind of thing.....

I dont know, the Army have done a few trips I would classify slightly iffy in them

Was in Kenya this summer, the local drivers prefer the land rovers we provide for them rather than the toyotas. I've been very open minded about 4x4s but thats the opinions of guys doing safaris every day.

I don't give a **** what car he likes or I like. Ive got a disco and I want to go overlanding.

Sounds like you haven't driven as far as the end of your drive.

best leave the off roading to those who know what thy are taking about. :yp:

You must be joking I'v got a proper off roader the original and best 4ltr jeep with a lift and some good mud tyres it will beat a landrover any day and it will not brake down all of the time.

It's amazing how many people slag off the landys . They are just the people who don't know how to fix them . They are by far the best 4x4 ever made. Go to an offloading day you see mostly defenders and discos There are some jap stuff there but you rarely see them there again ........

Landy through and through

Speak to someone like Nene Overland / Frogs Island, and find out what they recommend for the areas you want to go to - areas have varying support for different marques. The others are right - most overland outfitters recommend a Toyota as parts for LR's are very sparse in the 3rd world areas a lot of people like to visit. Closer in to Europe though, LR stuff is easier to come by, naturally.

You might say you're a LR man through and through - but it's a different story when your life depends on getting a part for your vehicle, and you're stuck with a green-lane plaything that no one can fix.

It's amazing how many people slag off the landys . They are just the people who don't know how to fix them . They are by far the best 4x4 ever made. Go to an offloading day you see mostly defenders and discos There are some jap stuff there but you rarely see them there again ........

Landy through and through

To be perfectly honest about it the best bog standard of the peg off road truck is the Mercedes G wagon comes with lockers front and rear and it is over engineered as only the Germans do things. I did see a while ago that a lot of army's across the world are changing there old Land Rovers for G wagons I must add though they do look ugly things having said that I still prefer my Jeep.