Help needed!!!!!!!!!!!&#33

NorfolkPoacher

hi all, with a budget of £1300 possibly a little more, im looking at variable premium rifle scopes with around a 5.5-22x50mm or 56mm but anything considered im buying new so im not looking for "for sale" items, Schmidt and bender, carl zeiss, swarovski and nightforce seem to be the ones to watch, any useful comments or personal reviews greatly appreciated its to go on a .243. i need to decide sharpish, thanks, Dave.

Go and look through some would be my advice...

Why not get along to the shooting show at the end of the month and see them in the flesh?

I prefer Swarovski, and have a PVI-2 6-24 x 50 on my 243, which is great for foxing.

Watch the comments re: Nightforce... they are American made (like leupold) and Americans.. like American things :)

Also have a good look at Kahles.

Edited by garyb

Go and look through some would be my advice...

Why not get along to the shooting show at the end of the month and see them in the flesh?

I prefer Swarovski, and have a PVI-2 6-24 x 50 on my 243, which is great for foxing.

Watch the comments re: Nightforce... they are American made (like leupold) and Americans.. like American things :)

Also have a good look at Kahles.

cheers fella, ive noticed prices rising lately which is a pain, i have been looking at the swarovski like yours, hows the clarity at 300yards under the lamp? cheers. Dave

I haven't had it long enough to offer a fair review as yet...

The longest shot in the past 3-4 weeks has been a Fox of about 160 yards

Image clarity at normal ranges is very good (but then all Swarovski's are!), and I really like the TDS-4i ret... reticle_tds4i.png as it has the illuminated centre dot, meaning it's just put the dot on the chest and shoot!

It come's with a calculator to work out the elevation and windage lines for your chosen cartridge - see http://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/tds-4_en.html

I haven't had it long enough to offer a fair review as yet...

The longest shot in the past 3-4 weeks has been a Fox of about 160 yards

Image clarity at normal ranges is very good (but then all Swarovski's are!), and I really like the TDS-4i ret... reticle_tds4i.png as it has the illuminated centre dot, meaning it's just put the dot on the chest and shoot!

It come's with a calculator to work out the elevation and windage lines for your chosen cartridge - see http://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/tds-4_en.html

you sure your not a swarovski salesman?lol cheers for info and really like that reticle. its certainly a strong contender!! the Schmidt line up wont offer much change from 2k for the mag im after!

Depends on what you want to use the scope / rifle for? 90% fox and 10% Deer?, or the otherway round?

The Police marksman range S&B's are very good, but like you say... quite a lot of money! I've got / had both S&B and Swaro optics, and there is nothing in it opticaly - the higher resale value of the Swaro won it for me.

Another question is, wether you will be dialling in for these long range shots, or will be more likely to point and shoot?

You can get a swarovski PVS which has target turrets if you so wish.... but it's more geared toward target shooting.

Edited by garyb

Cheers Gary and NB, yeah mainly foxes about 90% with a bit of paper punching and a few deer when the freezer gets empty. i would like to dial in and check me and my set-ups limitations for lang range occasionally and for the rest of the time have a 300 yard crystal clear foxing set up, my current scope blurrs a bit past 250 yards at night and low light. plus i want to buy once and keep for ever instead of chopping and changing sub £500 scopes. cheers again, Dave

You will notice that not many high end Euro scopes have target style turrets...

There are a few about, but most are closer to £2k... the likes of S&B PM2 and Zeiss Victory

This might make the Nightforce / Leupold more attractive to you?

But from what I've been told by friends that have / had them (having never owned one myself) what you gain in toys (Turrets, IR etc) you loose in clarity over a Euro offering.

Like I said, you really do need to look down a few of them if your looking to spend that sort of money.

having been on the receiving end of Garys dilema scope wise ;) there is nothing similar to that swaro in terms of money and performance. I have a similar not illuminated one and that is the only reason I would change it, If you would contemplate good second hand / ex demo scopes then have a look at Mcleods website

cheers for that alex, im buying through a work account set up at my RFD so im only buying new.

Garry, my main requirement is enough mag i.e 24x ive been used to this on low end scopes so im really just trying to gain visual quality and something that can put up with wet muddy foxing hikes or spending the majority of the night in the buck of my pickup.

toys are ok but like you say its usually at a price! turrets would be good but not essential, the only aspects of tactical scopes i like is mag and ruggedness, as oppose to bench rest scopes. cheers, dave

I have S&B's but If I had the cash I would always go Night force from now on. They are far superior, tube is four times as thick really sturdy. My friend who's a keeper had one on his .308 and rolled his truck, rifle and scope banged about all over the cab. He said it shot in same hole didn't even have to re-zero and very rarely has too. He always checks it but he said it never moves. Im getting one next time, may be bit costly but you will save on ammunition from not having to re-zero a lot. Plus Im sure you have seen the night force advertisement of the US marine who's scope was shot and still maintained zero only thing wrong was the magnification ring wouldn't go up or down so was stuck on 9.

I have S&B's but If I had the cash I would always go Night force from now on. They are far superior, tube is four times as thick really sturdy. My friend who's a keeper had one on his .308 and rolled his truck, rifle and scope banged about all over the cab. He said it shot in same hole didn't even have to re-zero and very rarely has too. He always checks it but he said it never moves. Im getting one next time, may be bit costly but you will save on ammunition from not having to re-zero a lot. Plus Im sure you have seen the night force advertisement of the US marine who's scope was shot and still maintained zero only thing wrong was the magnification ring wouldn't go up or down so was stuck on 9.

along with Swarovski, Nightforce seems to be the top runner, i too saw the advert, my rifle either clamps in my ATV or in the buck of my truck in all weathers so being tough is important to me along with retaining zero, i worry that the euro scopes in my budget may offer superb optics but are delicate. for the mag they seem better priced then S&B or ZEISS.

But is the glass as good as the Euro offerings?

I hear so many mixed reports.... not from Internet wannabe's but from people I know / trust who say they are dull and milky at high mag or under a lamp.

The last time I was in the market, a friend of mine caught up with me to make sure I hadn't bought one... and if I had he was prepared to come round and give me a good kicking (in his words..) having owned an NXS before his current Z6i...

Great for the benchrest boys though :hmm:

If anyone in Herts has one, I'd be happy to do a low light comparison.

But is the glass as good as the Euro offerings?

I hear so many mixed reports.... not from Internet wannabe's but from people I know / trust who say they are dull and milky at high mag or under a lamp.

The last time I was in the market, a friend of mine caught up with me to make sure I hadn't bought one... and if I had he was prepared to come round and give me a good kicking (in his words..) having owned an NXS before his current Z6i...

Great for the benchrest boys though :hmm:

If anyone in Herts has one, I'd be happy to do a low light comparison.

like you say i should test them side by side, the only prob is its a pain to get a RFD to lend me a 1500 quid scope to test in the pooring rain at foxes around the 300yard mark!! the glass sounds (from many reviews) superior on the Swaro but i like the ruggedness of the NF, :hmm:

I can't remember what their priced at.... check that the more expensive model dosen't also have the BT (ballistic turret) option as that will put the price up too ?

For what it's worth, none of the S&B's or Swaro's that I've owned have ever lost zero after a "bump"

Edited by garyb

I can't remember what their priced at.... check that the more expensive model dosen't also have the BT (ballistic turret) option as that will put the price up too ?

ok, i think the z6 is around £1400 and the z6i more like £1900 the BT adds £150 to these prices thats for the 5-30x50 model. which one did you get again mate and rough price (if you mrs isn't looking!!!) :lol: ta, Dave