Woodburner in...........

ziplex

We now have our woodburner in situ and, like everyone else who has one I guess, i'm constantly on the look out for free wood. Near to where I live there is a small oak tree fallen down from farmers ground onto common land, it's been down at least a year and has very easy access to load up a trailer with cut logs.........question is, can I?

I might ask the farmer but the tree itself is not on his land, anyone daft enough to of gone ahead with the above without asking and suffered any dire consequences??

ask him, he may say no but he may also say yes and I've also got this one down.

In reality Oak is hard work to burn and not ideal, hence it was used in ship building and houses it tends to char on the outside and last ages before burning properly. I've used a fair bit and you have to mis it with something decent to get it to burn well

We have remove wood from hedges and banks for years ,but normally if you ask the land owner they normally Oblige ,the problem with oak is it needs to be cut and split green as if you leave it it goes to hard,and the saw will have to be extra sharp and work harder,but removing someones wood without asking is theft ,but as I always say if you have the balls and look like you belong you will get away with it ,even with permission I have only been questioned once,and that day I was being naughty :blush:

Ask farmer dont forget there is alot of landowners who seek to leave deadwood for habitat reasons and this could be the case with your situ.

Most of my havesting of timber comes with terms to leave a certain amount of log piles for habitat even some requesting to leave a few standing deadwood trees.

Cheers OTH

As above, oak gets harder as it seasons but once dry it burns slowly and evenly, good for overnight burning.

If you don't mind collecting unseasoned wood and drying it for a year you can pick up a decent amount for very little if you keep lookout for it. I get some from local authority groundsmen and I give them a couple of pounds for a car load to keep them sweet. it's mixture of wood but if you pick and choose carefully you can get good stuff.

Maybe go and search out the farmer then, I know what you mean about oak being hard to burn.....i've been given a few logs and not only is it damn hard the only way I can get it to burn well is to mix in some softwood with it but if it's free then I can put up with that :good:

If I get the go ahead, anyone near Bristol fancy sharing the work/wood?

The only decent Oak I ever had was from a company that made oak flooring - nail gun a few offcuts together and they burnt really well - oak logs are another thing - just have a few to mix in with rest,

Dave

Oak burns very, very well but it takes an age to season, usually 2 years. When I get oak I chainsaw, chop and stack it straight away and store it undercover for at least a year before I consider burning it.

common land eh, if it is common land there will be commoners rights to it, sometimes tied to certain properties or area's, the rights might included collecting wood as fuel (or like a local small disused quarry close to me for stone for wall and building repairs) check it out ;)