Is It all in the mind

Alex C

After a topic on here from a guy who's shooting has taken a backward step, very much like my own i set of to the clay club the other day with a different outlook.

I forced myself to not get too hung up on the scores to really concentrate on my shots and not to get on a downer when i missed a few in a row.

What a difference it made, it seems just by getting it into my head that all i was going to do was to enjoy myself my scores improved, on a day with shocking weather, by 25%.

So how much of this sport is all down to the correct mental attitude and not buying the best gun/ cartridges/ clothing etc and how do other people acheive this?

Cheers

Alex

So how much of this sport is all down to the correct mental attitude and not buying the best gun/ cartridges/ clothing etc and how do other people acheive this?

Unfortunately 95%+ is in the head more if you consider skeet/trap thats why the top shots score 99% and a single miss is the difference between top gun or not. if you shoot ESP over 10 stands (20 traps) and they layout 2 impossible birds.... you should be able to score 90! If you can hit the bird or pair once no reason other than mental attitude you cant straight the stand. :blush:

Most? 70% mental, 30% practice, practice, practice?

When I shot archery I used to count backwards from 13, or forwards in prime numbers, while executing my shot to keep my mental focus on 'automatic.'

I believe most is in your head. When I shot competitions every week, I went with the aim of being high gun. I wanted nothing less. I hit most clays and won a fair bit. Now - I shoot practice with friends and family - the competitive edge has gone - as have the high scores.

If I have to queue up - my concentration starts to wander - and my scores drop.

If you have self belief, the ability to change your method, if you miss and also concentrate, it will take you a long way.

Edited by Gordon R

Hi There,

I was reading this topic "Its all in the Mind" with interest.

We have just had our second lesson with a good guy.

Seb is coming along really well. Its a joint lesson and I lost the plot and got completely confused.

I started to poke chase and could I stop not on your life. I have never really done this before or as bad.

The thing is I can go and post reasonable scores 20/25 sporting 16-18/ compak in the league. Today Sporting was ok I could hit long birds looping birds and sorted the birds from behind but still struggling on fast L/R quartering birds and rabbits going down hill more practice.

Then we went to the compak. I missed the first bird which I hit every time last time out and lost it from then on in I finished up with 6 then 8 out of 25. I know some will say give it up with scores like that but I wont be beat I know I can do it, concentration on the target to come with and sound technique is key but almost as important if not more important your mind as to be clear and focused. and did not do any of them. learning.

This may sound odd but Im glad this has happened so if I can it starts to happens again and it will I know what to try and do

I have to put this behind me learn from it and off to Catton Hall Sunday to see if I can put into practice what I have just said.

Are there many off the site going Sunday,

Thanks

Phil