Pigeon breast fillets

Blackpowder

For some time I have noticed when filleting pigeon breast meat that here are found two different kinds of meat. The large dark main bulk of the breast and a finger sized slice next to the breast bone much paler in colour. Yesterday I decided to do something about it and seperated the two, this is quite easy to do as there seems a membrane between - a natural seperation point in fact. These fillets made and excellent tender stir fry, while the main bulk are either now frozen or being processed for pigeon pie.

Blackpowder

• 1 month later...

The larger darker meat is the muscle that pulls the wing down and drives the bird in the air. The smaller, pink meat is the muscle that returns the wing to its power stroke and so does not work as hard. You find the same thing in pheasants - two-tone breast meat.

I also seperate the different meats and freeze them on a plastic mesh over a baking tray then once frozen bag them up so they are not frozen together in one lump and I can take out as many as I want.