changing 17hmr

wol the hunter

Hi Wol,

How is your .17hmr underperforming ?

- mine works a treat on rabbits / corvids out to 150 yards, and the odd fox around half that range (with hollow points).

The next step is any centrefire, common ones being, Hornet, .222, .223, .243 upwards, take your pick, what do you want the gun to do / shoot ?

Cheers

AndyCM

hi chaps ive had my 17 hmr and im not that impressed really.what is the next gun up and what would it be capleball of.cheers ;)

more info required here Wol .............And by that I mean are you looking for something to replace the HMR with something of more power to do the same type of pest control as what you are doing now ?

Ive

Thanks guys ;) .Firstly the main reason for thinking of changing it is because i get far more use out of my 22rimfire and dont seem to have much luck with 17.perhaps i should just change scope on 17,and only use it when there isnt any wind about.Secondly i need a gun to shoot long range vermin and pests ie stuff 22 cant reach,be honest if the consensus is stick with 17 i will take those that know advice.thanks :lol:

If your going to move up a gear rifle wise then yout going to move up a gear scope wise. Since you already have the .17HMR then get a decent scope on it. At least then, if your still unhappy you can invest in a centrefire.

Im not sure about Essex but Sussex police favour the .17HMR over the .22LR, as it is safer. In my reletively short experiance of the .17HMR, they don't get any argument from me. Its proved to be a spectactular round, though high winds are a no no. If you zero it for 100 yards, you'll get 25 to 125 yards without having to hold over. ;)

Although it's on my ticket as of yet i do not have the .17hmr in my possession but I've been helping a mate improve the performance with his because he was starting to get dispondant .

His yours still the same as factory spec ?........Out the box most need a bit of smithing here and there .......Lighter trigger ,floating the barrel for example .

I take it that you think a scope with a high mag will help with long range shot placement ..........not always the case ,some shooters will group better when zeroing on a lower mag as movement is less amplified ...........a finer crossair will help though .

I know from my limited experience on this calibre that the advertised capabilities of this calibre are'nt strickly true ..........I certainly would'nt take it further than 125 yds

However with a .223 and a good factory load you'll have the potential for crows at 200yds and at night 150yds on charlie ...........You won't have much of a rabbit left to eat though ;)

Ive

spend your money on a good quality scope, if you still cannot get on with the rifle at least you will have a good scope to put on your next gun.

I am not sure what is the problem, if you get on ok with the .22lr you should be able to shoot everything with the .17 at even greater distances.

Get a good quality scope.

i got a 17hmr and i reckon it is awsome out shoot a .22 any day. id say mines good for rabbits out to 150 yards and ive had a few foxes between 80 and 125 yards.

Wol wat scope have u got on yours? cus i got a hawke nite eye 3-12x50 illuminated reticule on my cz varmint. well pleased with the results.

i got a 17hmr and i reckon it is awsome out shoot a .22 any day. id say mines good for rabbits out to 150 yards and ive had a few foxes between 80 and 125 yards.

Wol wat scope have u got on yours? cus i got a hawke nite eye 3-12x50 illuminated reticule on my cz varmint. well pleased with the results.

hi mate i allso have a cz varmit but i am starting to feel thats whats on top is my problem.see on my 22rim i have a whitetail classic wich is the nuts and on my hmr i have a Nc star 6-24x50 mil dot. ;)

swap the scopes over

if your .22 starts shooting badly and your hmr well, you have your answer.

if not...

try floating the barrel, tightening down the front action screw tightly, getting your trigger sorted, if you have a silencer, try shooting both with it and without it, if your using cheap ammo, clean your barrel and try eley and winchester.

if it dosent shoot after that... well i dont know what to suggest.

Nc star 6-24x50 mil dot. :lol:

Wol

I had a TASCO World Class ??? 6 x 24 x 44 and it was a pile of ****e ..............cost £100 .........or cost the old man as it was his .......I could'nt afford any optics for the .223 at the time so he let me have it ......When clamped in a workmate you could see the zero shift as you zoomed from 6 up to 12 never mind 24 ..............also the windage and elevation dials adjusted diagonally so if you altered one you had to alter the other ...........Add to the equation dodgy ammo ,trigger ,barrel floating as well you'd never get any consistancy zeroing .

I have WASTED countless hours on the range not to mention the cost of ammo before I realised how poor this scope was :):lol::D

You live and learn and I have now seen the light as I have just purchased a Schmidt ???

Ive

Wol

I had a TASCO World Class ??? 6 x 24 x 44 and it was a pile of ****e ..............cost £100 .........or cost the old man as it was his .......I could'nt afford any optics for the .223 at the time so he let me have it ......When clamped in a workmate you could see the zero shift as you zoomed from 6 up to 12 never mind 24 ..............also the windage and elevation dials adjusted diagonally so if you altered one you had to alter the other ...........Add to the equation dodgy ammo ,trigger ,barrel floating as well you'd never get any consistancy zeroing .

I have WASTED countless hours on the range not to mention the cost of ammo before I realised how poor this scope was :):lol::D

You live and learn and I have now seen the light as I have just purchased a Schmidt ???

Ive

ok thats kin it , :*) its coming of and if you want to buy as an april fool it will be on ****bay sorry i meen e,bay buy now 10p ???

Wol

You live and learn and I have now seen the light as I have just purchased a Schmidt :/

Ive

ok thats kin it , :*) its coming of and if you want to buy as an april fool it will be on ****bay sorry i meen e,bay buy now 10p :P

You cruel ****** ??????

Ive :D