Roost or Decoy

Browning425

Hi...

Being a novice Pigeon shooter...

I have been decoying the last couple of weekends and the birds haven’t been remotely interested although I have seen a couple of large flocks that just dissappear. Running a magnet, about 18 shells, a crow and two bouncers. I am putting it down to the weather which has been overcast, damp, and cold in Norfolk. Don’t know if anyone else is struggling at the moment, I am thinking the weather is putting them off. So which is best, keep on trying to decoy them, or forget that and try roost shooting, any help or thoughts much appreciated...

Cheers

Alan

the weather wont matter, they have to feed everyday no matter what

you are in the worng place, or they just have too much food to choose and clear off at the first disturbance.

try roost shooting them if you have a wood they roost in

but dont give up with the decoys.

try different patterns, ther is no set rules on how to set up, ther is preferred methods but sometimes decoys flung alover the place will work better.

but most important, be in the right place

Edited by TJ91

What are you decoying on ? Always the better if its something on their menu.

But as already said possibly the wrong place, watch for their flightline and get under it or as near to it as possible.

Try altering your pattern.

Study the birds before setting up to make sure they at least look to be wanting the field or there is a flightline running.

It can be frustrateing with the birds still flocked up but if you persist and learn their habits with patience it will be rewarded.

What are you decoying on ? Always the better if its something on their menu.

But as already said possibly the wrong place, watch for their flightline and get under it or as near to it as possible.

Try altering your pattern.

Study the birds before setting up to make sure they at least look to be wanting the field or there is a flightline running.

It can be frustrateing with the birds still flocked up but if you persist and learn their habits with patience it will be rewarded.

We were decoying over a strip of maize, which seemed the place to be at the time as it is close to what I thought was a flightline by some woods... :oops::/

There`s an awful lot of greenery coming out of the ground at the moment and that is where I am seeing woodpigeons, in the woods.

Reconnaissance is the key, find where they are feeding and be there before they are :good:

......if not wait til late afternoon and roost shoot :D