more bad news for air rifles?

Should Air Rifles be Licensed   

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Yes they should be treated the same way as any rifle on a FAC
    • Yes but more relaxed than FAC eg not required to be locked up
    • No, the law on sub 12ftlb air rifles is fine the way it is.

Those breaking the law are punished. The problem, as always, is catching them, and whether they recieve tough enough penalties. A different subject altogether.

How does licensing punish genuine shooters? There are far more criminal acts involving airguns than there are involving shotguns/live rifles. There's one good reason for that......licensing.

Licensing works.

It works by weeding out the majority of idiots/nutters at source. It works by giving genuine shooters the responsibility of being a gun owner, and as often expressed on here, it keeps genuine shooters on the straight and narrow where they may have 'strayed' in the past.

Most importantly it works because the vast majority of licenced shooters are sensible, law abiding individuals. When push comes to shove the likes of BASC can point to the numbers of legally held firearms/shooters and show that they're very little threat to the public. This was shown at the Home Affairs Committee recently. How would they have been able to defend the shooting community if every Tom, **** and Harry had access to firearms? The simple answer is they couldn't, and it would be far easier for the government to put a blanket ban on all guns.

It may be pointless bureacracy in your eyes but it's only through licensing that any of us have any guns at all.

+1 :good:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What section is a sub 12 air rifle/sub 6 pistol I know its a well they call it no licence I never got paper work for my CO2 pistols but got something for an air rifle.

Any way with rifles etc being section 1

Certain/90% of shotguns being section 2

section 5 restricted firearms

then there is some section 7s

what do the low power air arms fall under?

I don't really feel like jumping into the whole debate, but just thought I'd point out that this idea that ‘’the illegal position of any firearm = a minimum 5 year sentence’’ is incorrect.

That is only the case if someone is in position of a section 5 weapon http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/section_5_firearms_act/

For a section 1 firearm however there is no minimum sentence ( simple position carries a maximum 5 years). http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/section_1_firearms_act/

Edited by Algiz

I don't really feel like jumping into the whole debate, but just thought I'd point out that this idea that ‘’the illegal position of any firearm = a minimum 5 year sentence’’ is incorrect.

That is only the case if someone is in position of a section 5 weapon http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/section_5_firearms_act/

For a section 1 firearm however there is no minimum sentence ( simple position carries a maximum 5 years). http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/section_1_firearms_act/

Correct, see my post #48 up the page. :good:

Put simply, the 5 yr min sentence, and all the publicity around it, was bought in as a deterrent to possesion of illegal handguns. It doesn't apply to most other firarms offences.

Edited by HW682

Correct, see my post #48 up the page. :good:

Put simply, the 5 yr min sentence, and all the publicity around it, was bought in as a deterrent to possesion of illegal handguns. It doesn't apply to most other firarms offences.

Get a grip chaps its just an example to use for the general public to deter them being ******.

It has a bit more poke than some TV ponce trundling out pages of British gun law and adding to the confusion.

SCREW UP WITH AN AIR GUN AND YOUR GOING TO PRISON

or

ITS NOT A TOY YOU COULD GO DOWN FOR 5 YEARS

This is not aimed at shooters. It’s the millions of casual users who will come into contact with an air gun and the tiny percentage of those who will drop a clanger with one.

We have to try and instil a bit of responsibility in them.

Get a grip chaps its just an example to use for the general public to deter them being ******.

It has a bit more poke than some TV ponce trundling out pages of British gun law and adding to the confusion.

SCREW UP WITH AN AIR GUN AND YOUR GOING TO PRISON

or

ITS NOT A TOY YOU COULD GO DOWN FOR 5 YEARS

This is not aimed at shooters. It’s the millions of casual users who will come into contact with an air gun and the tiny percentage of those who will drop a clanger with one.

We have to try and instil a bit of responsibility in them.

Yeah, but the problem with that is that most of the little sh*ts who cause the problems with air guns are more legally savvy than you or I.

You can try and scare them all you want, but it all just ammounts to empty threats.

They know full well that for the most part the truth is;

SCREW UP WITH AN AIR GUN AND GET A SLAP ON THE WRIST

like i read before there is so meny air rifles out there how will the cops be able to licence them all?

the extra time wasted by the cops , when there is other crime going on around us. and in the news today the cops are taking a big cut back on officers all over the uk. so thats not going to help the problem.

i think the only way we can sort the problem out is a fine for uninsured air rifles . when im on my permission ive always got my insurence and permission letter incase the law turns up. thats the way it should be for all. its also the way rough shoot works if you turn up with out ur licence or insurence you dont shoot. simples .

also that way the cops can check with the insurince companys to see how meny air rifles are out there being used for the jobs they are made for . and can act on them that dont have the insurince. a fine or a ban for repeat offenders.

like i read before there is so meny air rifles out there how will the cops be able to licence them all?

Well shotgun licences started in the late 60's 67 and were bought over the counter att he local PO, there still unregistered ones out there that crop up from time to time....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-12692866 Certainly not "Kids"