Talktalk Broadband

four-wheel-drive

I have been having problems with my broadband and crackling on the phone line for quite some time I was talking to a friend on tuesday and he said that he had been trying to phone me but the phone would ring once then cut off from my end the thing seem's to be working ok.

On tuesday night my broadband would not work it was late so I did not bother about it in the morning I switched off the rooter and let it reset that usually works but still got nothing.

So I tried to phone talktalk but the phone would not work all that I got was some crackling on the line.

So I get my Mobile and phone BT as they maintain the network only to be told that I must phone talktalk I'm not doing that on my mobile as its a pay as you go.

So go next door and after twenty minutes of farting about they say that they will check my line and send me a text this arrives after waiting about an hour telling me that they cannot find the fault but will do more tests.

The next morning its still not working I get a text telling me to phone a given number did that only to be told that I have to phone talktalk so it back next door and phone talktalk got through quicker this time the woman said go home and phone us on your mobile and we can go through some tests with you it took us ten minutes to get through to her that by this time my phone line was dead not even making crackling nose so eventually she agreed to make an appointment for an chap to come and check it out.

Now cums the good part ( HE CAN COME NEXT WEDNESDAY MORNING ) there was nothing that I could do as she was adamant that this was the quickest that they could do it.

When I got home I thought the box where the wire comes in to my place on the inside was replaced by BT about four years ago so that should be ok the only other thing that I could think of was the box on the outside it is quite low down do I unscrewed the top and looked in it looked a mess cobwebs etc but I wriggled the wires about and went in side and checked the phone it was crackling again and I could hear a faint tone I cannot use the phone but at least my broadband if working if not properly enough to get by until BT get here in a weeks time.

I was with Tiscali (who are now TalkTalk) before I moved to sky and I left at the end of my term after they left me with no phone or internet for 10 days without any real explanation, I am a web developer so as you can imagine 10 days with no internet is pretty damaging. They was still nice enough to charge me for the time it was down though, and also to continue to try and bill me for 3 months after I ended the contract with them.

Might just be unfortunate luck but I would never use them again.

I was with Tiscali (who are now TalkTalk) before I moved to sky and I left at the end of my term after they left me with no phone or internet for 10 days without any real explanation, I am a web developer so as you can imagine 10 days with no internet is pretty damaging. They was still nice enough to charge me for the time it was down though, and also to continue to try and bill me for 3 months after I ended the contract with them.

Might just be unfortunate luck but I would never use them again.

I was going to go with sky when they said if you have there TV you can have free Broadband but when I said that I live in Wiltshire they said that they could not do it Bt was ripping me off £120 a for three months and I hardy use my land line so I went with talktalk £20 per month all in If my line gets sorted then I am happy with them as long as nothing goes wrong It gets up my nose when you have to speak to someone in India to arrange for a man to come a less than a mile down the road to do a repair Open reach are just down the road from me great init.

I have been having problems with my broadband and crackling on the phone line for quite some time I was talking to a friend on tuesday and he said that he had been trying to phone me but the phone would ring once then cut off from my end the thing seem's to be working ok.

On tuesday night my broadband would not work it was late so I did not bother about it in the morning I switched off the rooter and let it reset that usually works but still got nothing.

So I tried to phone talktalk but the phone would not work all that I got was some crackling on the line.

So I get my Mobile and phone BT as they maintain the network only to be told that I must phone talktalk I'm not doing that on my mobile as its a pay as you go.

So go next door and after twenty minutes of farting about they say that they will check my line and send me a text this arrives after waiting about an hour telling me that they cannot find the fault but will do more tests.

The next morning its still not working I get a text telling me to phone a given number did that only to be told that I have to phone talktalk so it back next door and phone talktalk got through quicker this time the woman said go home and phone us on your mobile and we can go through some tests with you it took us ten minutes to get through to her that by this time my phone line was dead not even making crackling nose so eventually she agreed to make an appointment for an chap to come and check it out.

Now cums the good part ( HE CAN COME NEXT WEDNESDAY MORNING ) there was nothing that I could do as she was adamant that this was the quickest that they could do it.

When I got home I thought the box where the wire comes in to my place on the inside was replaced by BT about four years ago so that should be ok the only other thing that I could think of was the box on the outside it is quite low down do I unscrewed the top and looked in it looked a mess cobwebs etc but I wriggled the wires about and went in side and checked the phone it was crackling again and I could hear a faint tone I cannot use the phone but at least my broadband if working if not properly enough to get by until BT get here in a weeks time.

This is almost exactly the same problems I've just had.

Welcome to the world of patience.

Have you changed the filters

My thoughts exactly. I know a couple of people who had similar problems and it was caused by the cheap filter that usually comes with the modem. Buy better quality ones from Maplins,Radiospares or CPC.

Vic.

Re filters when I had problems 4 years ago the first thing that the BT chap did was to replace my old connection box from the standard box to one with one socket for the phone and another for the computer he said about the filters being a problem in the older ones but what he did seemed to work well for a time then the old problems began to return I am now shore that the way to sort my problem out is for that old box on the outside to be replaced with a new one that has not got holes in it to let the bugs get in.

I should add that with the two socket type of box you do not need external filters.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

my other halfs parents had this recently, the BT guy when he eventually turned up had to re do wiring on the pole outside the house, in a manhole down the road and alst where it came into the house. Was a nightmare but sorted eventually