Newby (Just ordered my first rifle)

Hawkeye Plinker

Hi there guys, last week I got the "Air Rifle" bug after overhearing a conversation about them and started doing some research into the different makes and models. Been 19 and on a tight budget I was very limited to what I could pick up, but decided to go for the "SMK .22 Underlever XS38 Supergrade Deluxe" mainly because I think it looks pretty darn nice and its claiming to have a close to uk law power outage (without an FAC). All the reviews I could find on this particular rifle seemed to follow the same trend, Out of the box its poor but give it some love and attention and you can have a nice little rifle. I have now arranged for this to be hand delivered by a local air gun store owner next week and was just wondering what you guys think about my choice really. Don't get me wrong I know its not going to be the best rifle on the market as I am only paying £119.99 for it with a 3-9x40 Hawke HD Scope, but for a beginner who "has never had better" is it a decent choice? I have heard alot of people claiming you should stay well clear from SMK, but is this just because they have had the likes of these infamous Weirauch's I have been hearing about?

Thankyou for reading!

Edited by Hawkeye Plinker

Welcome!

When you get it I suggest having a good play with it and trying it at different distances, different stances etc but don't think about taking it apart and 'improving' it until you know if it needs any work.

SMK rifles can have variable build quality but some are fine so put at least a tin of pellets through to find the weaknesses. Then you can do the research on mods and upgrades.

It should be an excellent starter gun and if/when you upgrade you'll have a good benchmark.

Enjoy it and stay safe.

Falcon

Well look at my sig i have a SMK and all with SMK scopes, they may not be the best all the time but if you get a good one they are fine, mine took allot to "break in" and now is much smoother and less clunky, I Know they are not the same gun but my only issue with mine is that the breach is cut on an angle so it is hard to find pellets that "fit" and the one's that do are either too light wieght or really expensive but it means when you close the breach it just bends the back skirt of the pellet, affecting the accuracy a surprising amount unless you push it in or smush it down the other way with an allen key as it dosnt go down well with numbingly cold fingers, im tempted to pull the drill on it because it, all faults aside is really accurate and has brought down more pigeons than i can coount onhands and feet. when you get it keep practicing with it and sight it in close then slowly increase the distance trying to keep the accuracy. They do the job :)

Welcome to the party HP!

What flavour is your smk - .177 or .22?

I'd definitely suggest trying a few different pellet brands to see which it prefers as this can vary wildly, gun to gun.

You are about to enter into a very fun phase (IMO), testing rifles and pellets at varying ranges.

Enjoy!

Duncan

Hi Hawkeye welcome to the forum, if you google ukchinese airgun forum

they have a lot of useful advice, if you you also google Woodfield GCP products get the contact

phone no and speak to William he sells lots of bits and pieces and also does an excellent

tuning up job on the basic gun, i bought an SMK Xs-19 .22 calibre break barrel and william

serviced it by removing all the internal burrs smothiing out and updating the trigger

& spring , the gun is now very smooth and shoots as good as my German made springers and has

already accounted for many rats and rabbits,i used to not rate chinese guns but a little work

produces a good gun, good luck with your choice . if you need any help pls pm me.

atb Brian

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the party HP!

What flavour is your smk - .177 or .22?

I'd definitely suggest trying a few different pellet brands to see which it prefers as this can vary wildly, gun to gun.

You are about to enter into a very fun phase (IMO), testing rifles and pellets at varying ranges.

Enjoy!

Duncan

if you sign up tho the above forum be careful what you say.take it from me its a bit funny on there these days we set up a new forum because of this.dont get me wrong it is the most useful place on earth for chinese rifles(i have 3)strip down guildes galore and more info than the chinks themselves lol

the guy at woodfield is a member on there just look for welshwilly and pm him any order and he will sort you out m8

andy

ps our new forum is airgunuk.freeforums.org

:good: