i need some advive

rcooke25552

il start by admitting that its my fault its got to this stage. i have a 9 1/2 month cocker who is my first dog. she has been allowed since we got here to go on the local playing field and run round with all the other dogs and generally have a good time. but i now feel that this is/has ruined her so to speak. she has become very tempermental on whether she will listen to me or not. sometimes she will drop to the whistle, recall and retrieve and run straight back to me. other times, well most of the time to be honest, she appears to have no intrest in me at all though what training i have done with her (sit, heel, stop whistle, retrieving) she can do well when she wants to.

more to the point, is it too late to correct all this and if not, what steps do i need to be taking from here to gain her intrest in me rather than something at the other end of the field? shes a great natured dog and it would be a shame for here not to succeed due to my incompetence.

all advice welcomed.

regards

I'm no expert but have a 9 1/2 month old lab that himself sometimes ignores me. I have heard that cocker are difficult to get '' steady'' I was having the same problem with mine. I stopped taking him to the park for a while and didn't let him off the lead.

I concentrated on walking to heal on the lead and off in the garden. It took around a month but I let him off yesterday with a dog of similar ages.( his brother actually) and other than the usual dog playness, they were both quite well and we actually managed up get a little training. Some one tat gave me lots of advice on my first dog said, nothing is reversible how long it takes depends and how bad you ****** it up in the first place :) just go back a few steps and get those ones solid before moving forward again. And remember your dog wants to run at a thousand miles per hour flushing birds. My lab is happy just picking things u and bringing them back.

Goodlyck and above all don't get to stressed.

Edited by mpk

No mate its not to late infact its a good age to start, I would go back to the basics but on a 121 schedule with no distractions at all,Sounds like you have got the makings of a good dog there if you have patients and time but not to over do it and she gets bored,good luck

atb kenny

Bear in mind that spaniels are very high energy and intelligent dogs. You have to provide an outlet for their energy levels to keep them focused. Give lots of exercise and mix in the training. Also bear in mind that these dogs have been bred for flushing and retrieving, so these activities should be instinctive to even an untrained dog. It is a matter of honing the instincts so that the dog works for you. The more they work, the happier they are. My cockerpoo took 2 years to calm down to 'normal' energy levels. He's a great working dog - all small game beware!! :D