iPad 2

guss109

Not heard that before.. Would be the same as an iPod and had two of those from visiting the states.

Though I guess if you buy a 3G version it maybe locked to whatever their network provider is.

But the wifi version will work anywhere.

Edited by Spiderdude

I have a little man from Apple who says he will ring me on the 25th as soon as the stock is released to get my order.(some hope)

However Apple US site aren't shipping for 3 to 4 weeks and from day one would not ship abroad.

Stock levels in the chains are very low due to scalpers, but if you can get one it should work no problem, the original Ipad worked fine brought 2 back from New York last year.

Get an old style one! The new one isn't significantly different and still doesn't work with flash, so it's still a deeply flawed device. I'm typing this on one now. It's great at what it's been allowed to do, but the Steve Jobs twit has more interest in manipulating people than making a device that is as good as it could be. With a flash player installed it would pretty much replace laptops for most people, as it is it's just a handy device for first enquiries, I usually have to go to the proper computer to complete my surfing.

Completely disagree with that last comment.

The ipad is still a superior device to any other tablet and there is not much you can't do. They won't replace a laptop completely however.

As for flash? Well even adobe is coming round to the idea that flash is to CPU heavy and HTML5 is the way forward! And if you can't handle that then download the browser which allows flash conversion!

:-)

The fact remains that however imperfect flash is, there are an awful lot of websites that use it, especially to embed video sequences. The new ipad is supposed to have twice the cpu power, so the excuse that it uses too much power should be nullified. No doubt the web will change to HTML5 eventually, but by then it will be on ipad8 and all the previous incarnations will still have suffered from the same fundamental flaw which is only there because Apple want to proscribe how people can use their stuff.

If there's a browser available for the ipad that works I'd be very keen to hear about it. The conversion ap I tried took ages to convert and often failed completely.

Not being a computer geek I didn't have any idea how widespread the use of flash was, or really what it does. Since getting the ipad it's become very clear as the dreaded "This will not work without flash" message is an all too frequent visitor to my screen! :(

I love the idea of the ipad, and it works very well, but the lack of flash, just because apple decide not to put it on and not for any functional reason is beyond irritating!

Good luck on getting one on the 27th. Rumor has it that the Japanese tsunami was perfect timing to use as a delay to hold off releasing it, as they've exceeded sales and now transferring stock to the USA to supply the demand.

iPads will work anywhere. When you first boot up the device you'll notice it advises you in several languages - proving that the device is internationally distributed and not individually locked.

HOWEVER. If you buy a 3G iPad from the USA, it will be locked to either Verizon or AT&T. You'll need a jailbreak which also cracks the baseband - something that doesn't exist for the 4.3 iOS (baseband bit)

Turns out it's better to buy a WIFI only one. The microphone is better and when tethered to an iPhone, it will pick up the GPS location from that.

Cheers for that Billy think I will just go for the wifi one then

You do know that there's absolutely no stock in the USA? People have set up camp outside Apple Stores waiting for new stock.

To top it off, iPad 2's on eBay are selling for up to £2,500...

You do know that there's absolutely no stock in the USA? People have set up camp outside Apple Stores waiting for new stock.

To top it off, iPad 2's on eBay are selling for up to £2,500...

glad i decided to wait then!

plus i still need to get rid of my ipad 1 first

HOWEVER. If you buy a 3G iPad from the USA, it will be locked to either Verizon or AT&T. You'll need a jailbreak which also cracks the baseband - something that doesn't exist for the 4.3 iOS (

They are unlocked

http://www.freakgeeks.com/2011/4041/ipad-2-is-completely-carrier-unlocked-confirmed-by-iphone-dev-team/

I have one...wouldnt bother again, wifi is **** in them, sooooo sloooooow and everything I can do with it my laptop does better...waste of money :no:

Found mine to be excellent, ok, limited by flash. By incredibly quick on wifi, rapid start up, brilliant device.

Does much more than my laptop and less hassle to use.

JMHO.... :)