need to learn about my dive bottle......

slugger

ok, its difficult to work out what all the numbers mean on my bottle [im trying to work out how many fills i can expect from it / how often i need to get it filled] ..... from what i can work out i "think" its.......

8.35 litres ?

wp 207 bar [working pressure?]

tp 345 bar [total pressure?]

so first question, when i get it filled, will they fill to 207 bar ? or 345 bar?

and have i guessed the litres bit right [bottle is 600 mm tall x 570mm around]

so, assuming they fill it to the wp, and assuming wp = working pressure [207 bar which is about 3000 psi] how many fills can i expect from my s410 classic [longer than carbine]

hope someone is good at this stuff ? :lol:

also [gotta ask while i remember] could my bottle be filled to the tp [345 bar]? and if so, will i have to get a new regulated filler/connector thingy....... or could i get away with being bloody carefull with the tap ?

sorry for all the questions, but i gotta learn :yes::good:

ok, its difficult to work out what all the numbers mean on my bottle [im trying to work out how many fills i can expect from it / how often i need to get it filled] ..... from what i can work out i "think" its.......

8.35 litres ?

wp 207 bar [working pressure?]

tp 345 bar [total pressure?]

so first question, when i get it filled, will they fill to 207 bar ? or 345 bar?

and have i guessed the litres bit right [bottle is 600 mm tall x 570mm around]

so, assuming they fill it to the wp, and assuming wp = working pressure [207 bar which is about 3000 psi] how many fills can i expect from my s410 classic [longer than carbine]

hope someone is good at this stuff ? :lol:

also [gotta ask while i remember] could my bottle be filled to the tp [345 bar]? and if so, will i have to get a new regulated filler/connector thingy....... or could i get away with being bloody carefull with the tap ?

sorry for all the questions, but i gotta learn :yes::good:

Look at the info on the crown of your cylinder; it will have the “size” Ie 7/8/9/10/12 Ltr etc

As in the other post 207 wp is the working pressure and tp is the pressure it will be tested to. For the volume, the maths is quite simple, Eg (lts) 7 X 207wp = 1449 lts of air.

The volume of your gun is what? 400cc If so Amount : 400 cubic centimetre (cc - cm³)

Equals : 0.40 litre so .40x207=82 lts

In simple top up your gun from your full dive bottle, and plink away until the shots drop off, make a note of the performance and you will know when to top up the gun.

The best way if the pocket allows is to have a 300bar bottle and decant to your gun, however it will require carful filling as the pressure difference is vast, and you don’t want to over fill your gun!

Plus side, not so many trips to the dive shop

Minus side getting a 300bar pump, and damaging your gun!

TEH

hmm....... that works out at 17 fills........spose you lose a couple in "not enough pressure left to fill upto 170 bar" plus i guess you waste a fair bit with the bleeding each time you fill.......

my nearest dive shop is 20+ miles away and coz of the narrow lanes etc its nearly an hour to get there......bumms :hmm:

maybe i should look out for another dive bottle..........may work out cheaper in the long run :good:

ive done a test..... if i fill to 170/180 bar........i can get 80-85 good shots before power drops to below 11 ft/lbs [lots of pellet drop if i carry on past this point]so realistically im looking at filling my big bottle every 2 tins of pellets.......which works out fortnightly [while im still enthusiastic] :lol: so a second bottle will turn it into a monthly trip to the dive shop, thats not so bad :good::good:

anyone else noticed the guage on the gun is rubbish ? when ive filled [even upto 190 bar]the gun-guage only shows 150/155 bar....... 80 shots later its showing 100 bar [which is more realistic]

but i guess so long as you think of it as a "guide" rather than a prescision gauge, its all good :lol:

Remembering theses are for a S4XX classic filled to 170bar and refilled at 100bar. And are approximate!

300bar

12ltr 105

7lt 61

3lt 26

232bar

12ltr 50

7ltr 29

3ltr 12

207bar

12ltr 29

7ltr 17

3ltr 7

You can see why everybody recommends spending the extra and getting a 300 bar bottle! A lot less refills.

The file I use to work it out.

number-of-fills-v15.xls

Edited by Gnome of the Woods

wow, thanks guys, great info here :good:

i must confess this morning i was have a google nightmare finding dive shops/gunshops etc that could fill my bottle [even the one i mentioned that nearly an hour away was closed, or at least not answering the phone :lol:

but i struck gold, and thanks to you lot i managed to "sound" like i knew enough to not get ripped off :good:

got myself a really nice chap 15 miles away that does gasses.......welding gasses/dive gasses etc...... he sold me a second hand 15 litre bottle [still at 200 odd bar, not 300] for 100 quid, plus he filled it, and my existing one for nowt extra......and we agreed very exceptable terms for future refills [like less than a tenner to fill both] also, he filled it, let it cool [while i took me dog charlie for a walk] and topped it up to just a smidge over wp...... he's had decades in the business and said its perfectly safe, and will give me another gun-fill or 2 :good:

so im a happy chappy........then i went [on the recomendation of the guy and his mate] to a hardly known gunshop nearby [was his brither in laws busines] and struck an awsome deal on an s200 for my lad......

today has been truly awesome, knowledge and toys, what more could you want :D

i simply must give the gas-man a mention coz he was such a helpfull and generous guy, plus if any of you lot live/find yourself around his neck of the woods and need a top-up , he's got to be worth putting in your phonebook :good:

his name is ray nash, and the company name is R&R GASSES www.randrgasses.co.uk thanks all ;)