pattern style

stevevtr

when decoyin pigeons which pattern do you find that works . i know they all say like a horse shoe shape but does anyone have better days from usin like a L shape pattern or a pointed pattern or like a j pattern any advice would be welcomed as im relitively new and tryin to find out as much as possible :wub:

It all depends on the day.

Sometimes they will come straight in no problems at all.You have to make time to experiment with patterns and other gear like magnets.

If a bird comes well from miles away and the turns sharpley away at 60 yds out they maybe something wrong,if it continues to happen change your pattern.

Don't be affraid to not use your magnet(if you have one),the same may happen,take it down.

Some of the best bags i had last year were just using decoys and bouncers no magnets at all.

I think the best tip i can offer is when you shoot a bird swap it for a decoy,real pigeons look best regardless of pattern, and always ensure that dead birds are picked up to ensure non are upside down.

It's a funny old game.

Kenzie

• 3 weeks later...
when decoyin pigeons which pattern do you find that works . i know they all say like a horse shoe shape but does anyone have better days from usin like a L shape pattern or a pointed pattern or like a j pattern any advice would be welcomed as im relitively new and tryin to find out as much as possible :/

no hard and fast rules to this one, its what works on the day.

• 6 months later...

I have started throwing them out anywhere as patterns seem to have gone out of the window unless you are willing to do a 3 bird pattern.

Next day will be different, guarenteed.

Bottom line is if they are having it and you are in the hot seat then hot barrels.

The rest of us move, change, add, subtract from our patterns to find out what works.

There are no 'what will work patterns' steve.

LB

One of the best days I had this year was when I was setting up to make the horseshoe, had put 2 floaters up and threw a bag of deeks out, got about 5 of them thrown into place and birds started coming in left and right. Grabbed the bag and legged it back to the hide and started shooting.

Didn't change a thing for two hours with 40+ dead birds out there. Go figure :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
when decoyin pigeons which pattern do you find that works . i know they all say like a horse shoe shape but does anyone have better days from usin like a L shape pattern or a pointed pattern or like a j pattern any advice would be welcomed as im relitively new and tryin to find out as much as possible :lol:

Alot depends on the wind direction and if i can get my hide over the flight line safely + a good back stop for cover helps. There is no real easy answer, it is all trial and error. I use the V shape and the U shape and the L shape mostly along with a Rotary and a couple of Flotters and get good bags usually. Experiment and dont be put off by changing your patteren even if it did work the days before hand. :blink:

Go too UKSHOOTWAREHOUSE.co.uk site and they have some helpful hints & diagrams of patterens and some great decoys for sale SILLOSOCKS - Every 1 is buying them and getting good results. I have some and they do work a treat once you have them set up right :blink: