what ft lb

colin lad

i know cartridges are not measured in ft lb but i was just wondering if it could be done what sort of ft lb an average 32g 6s would be putting out at the muzzle,

i am just trying different carts at the moment and reading up on some so it just got me thinking,

also i have a box of 50g ssg with 10 pellets in with a muzzle velocity of 1375 fps as they would weigh as much or more than a 40grain lr subsonic round and travel faster than a 22lr sub would each ssg pellet have more ft lb than a .22lr round?????????

colin

Working out as a big, solid slug (In other words the velocity that the shot has before it leaves the barrel).

If the 32g 6's have a velocity of 1375 fps, with 32g weighing some 493.84 grain. It would have a outward force of ft/lbs of 2073.68 to bring it 1375 fps. (But bare in mind this area of pressure is over a much larger area of bore than say a .22 rifle)

This is rought math, I'm not even that sure, so please feel free to poke holes in it.

For your SSG question each would have more ft/lbs behind it because they would be going super-sonic unlike the sub-sonic .22lr.

Hull cartridge website is good for this sort of thing.. http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/game/special_pigeon_12.cfm?chart=3&button=View

It lists each pellet from 32g 6 pigeon special as 2.74 ft.lb at 20m. With 288 pellets in the cartridge that gives 2.74 x 288 = 789 ft.lb

(From memory some of the heavier loads can be in the region of 2000 ft.lb)

Edit: 50gm BB load; 11.97 x 125 pellets = 1500 ft.lb at 20m.

Edited by HW682

Hull cartridge website is good for this sort of thing.. http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/products/game/special_pigeon_12.cfm?chart=3&button=View

It lists each pellet from 32g 6 pigeon special as 2.74 ft.lb at 20m. With 288 pellets in the cartridge that gives 2.74 x 288 = 789 ft.lb

(From memory some of the heavier loads can be in the region of 2000 ft.lb)

thanks guys was just curious

colin

i know cartridges are not measured in ft lb but i was just wondering if it could be done what sort of ft lb an average 32g 6s would be putting out at the muzzle,

i am just trying different carts at the moment and reading up on some so it just got me thinking,

also i have a box of 50g ssg with 10 pellets in with a muzzle velocity of 1375 fps as they would weigh as much or more than a 40grain lr subsonic round and travel faster than a 22lr sub would each ssg pellet have more ft lb than a .22lr round?????????

colin

The standard SG load produces 1980ft lb from memory (I know it is just below 2000), so a SSG is likely to be just below that.

Load energy decreases as the shot gets smaller, small lumps are difficult to accelerate and just do not retain their energy well!

EDIT

I have SG Carts, but I have never even seen SSG, let alone used them, what do you intend to do with them?

Cheers

Edited by Dekers

According to Lyman 5 ... SSG= 00 Buck ? and a M/v of 1325 gives each pellet 210 ft/lbs

But for 10 pellets to 50 gm you're looking at LG /000 Buck.

I've seen SSG marked loads in 'special loads' in S.Africa' ... they were kept for Baboons, which I gather, soon learned to keep out of range anyway.

But whichever, its goin to hurt whatevers at the receiving end...

Just a thought - since each pellets hits separately is it right to work on a combined energy, especially given pattern density at a distance???

According to Lyman 5 ... SSG= 00 Buck ? and a M/v of 1325 gives each pellet 210 ft/lbs

But for 10 pellets to 50 gm you're looking at LG /000 Buck.

Eley diary lists SSG but at other weights ... so which SSG is it !!

I've seen SSG marked loads in 'special loads' in S.Africa' ... they were kept for Baboons, which I gather, soon learned to keep out of range anyway.

But whichever, its goin to hurt whatevers at the receiving end...

Just a thought - since each pellets hits separately is it right to work on a combined energy, especially given pattern density at a distance???

The standard SG load produces 1980ft lb from memory (I know it is just below 2000), so a SSG is likely to be just below that.

Load energy decreases as the shot gets smaller, small lumps are difficult to accelerate and just do not retain their energy well!

EDIT

I have SG Carts, but I have never even seen SSG, let alone used them, what do you intend to do with them?

Cheers

i wanted a few carts to take out in case i came across mr fox when i asked in the shop thats what they sold me, i got a box of 50g 0s 10 for £9 and a box of these ssg with 10 pellets in they were £8.50 for 5 so shall be using them sparingly

colin

i think 00/sg are 8.1mm and ssg are 7.9mm

Edited by colin lad