Has anyone here bought sporting rights ?

Catweazle

A few of us looked into investing in sporting rights and to be honest the investment potential is lousy, the only way we could make the maths work as investment potential and a return for us was to buy the land itself.

I'd be interested to hear some more thoughts on this.

I already have land, I don't think land is such an attractive investment now as the price has doubled in recent years.

I read that there are more and more people applying for SGC, and that more farms are charging for vermin shooting. There is a 3000 acre farm in Sheppey that charges £350 per year. On that basis, perhaps buying sporting rights could pay. The rights would always have a value, and if I could get 10% return by selling days then that would be a reasonable investment.

Hi all, i waited ten years of patient asking, before i was able to buy the shooting rights on the estate that i work on. I have the deer stalking and squirrel shooting, in my case yes the investment is worth every penny, the sheer joy of walking out of my door,[i live in an quiet woodland plot] with a rifle or shotgun, to go "shopping" as the wife calls it is priceless. regards nick

I own the sporting rights on my farm and many years ago purchased the rights on a couple of adjacent farms.

However, the whole business of sporting rights is a terrible bone of contention with many landowners, some voicing their belief regarding their legal standing in this modern age.

As has been said they are all different and confer different rights and obligations. As land gets split up and changes hands with often the "House" with a few acres being sold separately from the bare land shooting rights become even more of an issue. I have come across situations where the owner of the shooting rights has placed guns on the lawn in front of the big house because thats what has always been done but as the house had been sold the new owners were not very happy and are considering a legal challenge.

Owning and using the shooting rights for ones own and ones guests enjoyment is one thing but, to shall we say, sell vermin shooting by the day to all comers is another thing and I think this will eventually cause a legal challenge to their worth and validity and when once a precedent has been set we will see the end of shooting rights as we now know them.

I mention this as something to bear in mind when making your decision.

Charlie