Shooting on our local sports field?!?

duggie44

Hi there all! I have been given shooting permission on our local public sports field. Permission was given by the caretaker who looks after the field and the local hall. As i was unsure of the law on the matter of shooting on public ground (and so was he for that matter) i thought i would ask about. There is an evident rabbit problem, always rabbits about and holes in the fields and hedgerows. Would this be leggal to shoot there with shotguns or not?

Any advice would be grateful,

Many thanks,

Duggie :thumbs:

Edited by duggie44

Public sports field = local authority property (probably)

And it's probably not the caretakers place to give the permission to do it. More likely it would be a management issue. I'd hazard a guess that it would be too public a place for them to stick their necks out in case the PC brigade complained to the fluffy bunny lovin' councillors.

Be vewy vewy caweful.

Dave

Duggie44.

If i were you mate i would PASS on this one.

The caretaker may have meant well, but as said, it wont be his to give.

It will prob belong to a Parish or local council, even if you got permision from them you will still have PLOD to contend with, and i would guess that you would still be committing various offences, unintentionally, with regard to public safety etc.

The only way round it would be to get them to close the park to the public whilst you carry out "pest control". you could ask but i cant see that happening.

my advice, give it a miss mate, and knock on a few farmers doors.

Regards Sutty :rolleyes:

A local Park down here shuts its gates a couple of times a year to cull the Squirell and Rabbit populations I managed to get Myself on the list of People doing it but when it came up Id just been taken in to Hospital after an accident got the message on My answer phone a month later when I got out :rolleyes: will ring the Guy again at some point to see if there is a chance for another go

thanks for the replys. The guy says that he leases the ground so not sure if that makes a lot of difference. There are signs about that say keep to the footpath as the field are not to be used as they are for the club football matches. Do you think its worth getting him to put signs up saying " ground is under going pest control so will be shut today" etc on the days we are shooting there. Anyone got any ideas on doing this?

Many thanks Duggie

oops, mr caretaker is 100% NOT allowed to give you any permission :rolleyes: he by rights cant even give you permission to take a dog over there.but dont panic,what he can and only can is forward your name allong with BASC certiffate to the council asking for you to be allowed an interview with council.if they let you ill tell you now they will only let you use an air rifle.anyway good luck,personally i would stay well clear of it. ;)

ps it has nothing to do with old bill.

the land is owner occupied by council

Edited by wol the hunter