CLAY PIGEON VS REAL PIGEON

eggjr0151

HI I HAVE BEEN CLAY PIGEON FOR MONTHS NOW AND JUST STARTING TO TRY MY HAND AT THE REAL THING WE HAVE A DAYS PIGEON SHOOT LINED UP WITH A GUY OF THE NET AND WONDERED IF YOU HAD ANY TIPS FOR ME AND ARE REAL PIGEONS A LOT HARDER TO HIT CHEERS.

First thing is to turn off the cap locks.

Second tip is when you go clay shooting put on your ear defenders, sit down, don't let them tell you when the clay is being pulled and then deal with what you see. After a few weeks of this you might be ready for some real pigeon shooting. :lol:

Try and get a day with someone local, who can show you and talk you through the process, you cannot compare it with clay shooting.

I am sure if you asked nicely, someone in the North West will take you out for the day, or part of it.

If you were down my neck of the woods I would take you out,and so would many others, no problem, so come on the North West, show us your hospitality, and then lets all read about it and get a nice warm glow

I can hit clays all day how much faster are real pigeons and how close will they come cheers

It isn't about just about speed and distance. Sometimes they are stationary. Sometimes zipping along at 40mph or more. By the time you mount the gun the targets may have scattered, twisting and turning every which way. Pigeons are the most agile,unpredictable quarry you are likely to shoot in my opinion. It's not like picking one or other of two clays that are arcing in a predictable manner. It will drive you crazy the fisrt few times, but you'll be hooked and then as crazy as the rest of us on here.

In reality you need to bin most of what you have learned on the clays and start all over again, every bird will be different to the last one and the second they see you will turn and jink to get away.

If you shoot gun up at clays stop straight away, and as a previous post has said dont call for the clays and just shoot what appears, try not to follow the line of the clay to much as you need to point and shoot. And from my own expierience don't try to shoot with maintained lead as the flight pattern is too eratic for it, it is much easier to pull through the pigeon and let instinct take over as to when you need to pull the trigger.

Most of all get out and enjoy it :good:

Chalk and cheese my friend.

Clay shooting is the right place to start,learn safety/mount/lead/sightpicture/function/confidence etc...

Wood pigeon need outwitting/fieldcraft/recconaisance...oh and then the easier bit which is shooting it.Without the 1st bit you won't get much of the 2nd bit...

Go with someone who has experience initially,be patient and keep still,they have incredible eyesight..do not move until ready to mount and shoot.

There have been many books written about your question,so attempting 100 words on a forum is tricky..but go try it,enjoy it,be safe...once addicted then buy the books/t shirts etc...have fun!

Second tip is when you go clay shooting put on your ear defenders, sit down, don't let them tell you when the clay is being pulled and then deal with what you see. After a few weeks of this you might be ready for some real pigeon shooting. :lol:

That's what I do.

Get a mate to launch clays for you at a compact sporting layout with a good selection of targets.

Wear non-electronic defenders so you can't hear the traps getting ready to launch.

Stand with the gun unmounted.

During quiet times, open a flask of hot beverage and have a sandwich, sure enough your mate will launch a couple. :lol:

That's probably the most realistic way you'll ever get clays to be anything like real pigeons.

That's what I do.

Get a mate to launch clays for you at a compact sporting layout with a good selection of targets.

Wear non-electronic defenders so you can't hear the traps getting ready to launch.

Stand with the gun unmounted.

During quiet times, open a flask of hot beverage and have a sandwich, sure enough your mate will launch a couple. :lol:

That's probably the most realistic way you'll ever get clays to be anything like real pigeons.

Or like me the other day during a quiet spell: "Sean. It's Clive. Do you want any pigeons? How any you got? Twelve, just a minute.... <Bang> thirteen. I'll be down in half an hour. <Bang> Make that fourteen.." :lol: