Advice needed balancing a shotgun up

huey

Hi

Can any of you advise, I have a 28" 12g sporter which is stock heavy and requires balancing to bring point of balance back to hing pin instead of being at the back of the action. Do I a) consider drilling out the stock, B) add weight to forend/barrel?

PS The stock is quite nice and I dont want to ruin it.

Thanks

Huey

I'd check to see no one has added lead to the stock, most Berettas i've owned or handled are normally fairly well balanced.... or you might have a very dense piece of wood i suppose..

I'm sure i've seen self adhesive lead strips on sale somewhere... you could add those to the center rib under the fore stock.

Dave

If you are planning on calling UK gun repairs, You may as well just hear what he told me!

Go to your local window shop or call around asking for "lead self adhesive strips" Simply remove the for end off and place 2 strips both sides of the barrel (where the 2 meet) and re attach the for end. If its the opposite way around Dennis said to add a few strips to the recoil pad (in the centre).

Many thanks to both!

Edited by Teal

I'd check to see no one has added lead to the stock, most Berettas i've owned or handled are normally fairly well balanced.... or you might have a very dense piece of wood i suppose..

I'm sure i've seen self adhesive lead strips on sale somewhere... you could add those to the center rib under the fore stock.

Dave

Sorry MK38 didn’t notice you said the exactly the same thing. well advised!

In the back of my mind this was my preffered option as I really carnt bring myself to start boring lumps ou of he stock. Any yes MK38 it is a very dense piece of timber.

My only concern with adding weight is that it adds to to he overall weight of the gun which is already heavy due to the density of the timber. Will give it a go though!

Thanks

You'll either need to add mass to balance it or take it away add mass near the end of the barrels for the minimum total increase in mass as a 28" it's missing some mass from the front end compared to. A 30+ is it mulichoke? If so try some extended chokes ( every little helps)also what butt pad does it have?